cheap jars are what size?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was one of those that bought the cheap 12oz jars earlier in the year, I have just measured the weight and when mine are full they weigh 14oz without the weight of the jar.
Is this normal that honey weighs more than the stated net weight of the jar?
Just wondered.....and if so should I be putting on the true net weight or the net weight that the jar allegedly holds? A difference of 355 gms to 398 gms!
The only reason I tested the weight is that the jars looked bigger than 12 oz
E
:judge:

I was one of those that bought the cheap 12oz jars earlier in the year, I have just measured the weight and when mine are full they weigh 14oz without the weight of the jar.
Is this normal that honey weighs more than the stated net weight of the jar?
Just wondered.....and if so should I be putting on the true net weight or the net weight that the jar allegedly holds? A difference of 355 gms to 398 gms!
The only reason I tested the weight is that the jars looked bigger than 12 oz
E
:judge:

If you are selling them, the weight must not be more than 5% above or below the stated weight, trading standards can take you to court if you get caught. The fines can get rather large, so you really need to state the correct weight of the product in the jar (net weight).

If you are selling them, the weight must not be more than 5% above or below the stated weight, trading standards can take you to court if you get caught. The fines can get rather large, so you really need to state the correct weight of the product in the jar (net weight).

That's only if you average the weight of the batch by sampling a % of jar on trading standard approved scales...how many on this forum have trade approved scale/..hivemaker, Chris b, ITLD, ! Bet not many more have approved scales. it is harder for a beekeeper to comply wit the recording requirements than weighing every jar

14oz in a 12oz jar, yes if you fill it to the top, most hex jars are about the similar volume 280to 284ml to the top which at SG 1.4 for honey give £13.81oz, if you fill it to 12oz it is about at the bottom of the kneck of the jar,it is ~245ml and holds 12 oz of honey @ SG 1.4

/edit:~~~
just looked at the Jar type, the cheap jars are exactly the same mold and pressing number and volume as COMPAK jars, so the cheap ones ARE the normal 12oz jars sold to beekeepers

Last edited:
:iagree:

enrico try filling a jar to the bottom of the neck with water, then pouring the water into a measuring jug, take the reading you have and times it by 1.36, this will give you your weight of honey in that jar.

for example :-

250ml x 1.36 = 340g

340g = 12oz

if your water reading comes out at 250ml then the volume is correct, and then suspect the SG of your honey might be wrong (still too much water ).

Hope this helps in some way.

Last edited:
I thought the stated amount was to the bottom of the neck. When showing honey, you have to overfill so the gap isn't visible, but that isn't to do with weights and measures, but aesthetics.

I thought the stated amount was to the bottom of the neck. When showing honey, you have to overfill so the gap isn't visible, but that isn't to do with weights and measures, but aesthetics.

They stioulate that no air should show between the honey and the neck, as there iare slight differences in size between different manufacturer's jars - by filling them this full it ensures there is some kind of uniformity (and each jar should have at least a pound of honey in.
Fill a 12oz hex jar the same way, and you will definitely have excess honey in - I've found that just up to the shoulder gives 12 ounces/340g, so I always fill a little bit more

Yes, ONLY when entering honey for a show, not for selling it.

Latest posts

Back