Cheap, homemade foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
I've just melted a good few lbs of wax from my dead TBH and was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap way to make foundation ie without having to pay almost £350 for a press?

I'm a bit bored atm:rolleyes: so thinking if I could make a press by making a cast of a sheet of foundation with something like plaster os paris then coat this with epoxy to give a smooth finish?

Some of you industrious beeks must have had a go at something similar in the past. Please share:D

I've just melted a good few lbs of wax from my dead TBH and was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap way to make foundation ie without having to pay almost £350 for a press?

I'm a bit bored atm:rolleyes: so thinking if I could make a press by making a cast of a sheet of foundation with something like plaster os paris then coat this with epoxy to give a smooth finish?

Some of you industrious beeks must have had a go at something similar in the past. Please share:D

Wasn't HP doing something along these lines.
Need a mangle too.

If you're really that bored and fancy trying it, I have some moulds that you can borrow but have to dig out of shed.

Russ

hi
this is my first post on the forum and this is someting i,m in the process of building at the moment , i bought some plastic brood foundation , to use as the mold negative , then cast front and back of the plastic foundation in rtv silicone , follow the instructions on the science in africa website , just remember to use food grade sillicone for the mold .

The cheapest way is not to use foundation.

If the foundation is for your National hives then simply wire the frames and give them a central starter strip of sorts and the bees will do the rest just like your TBH.

You can then if you are happy with that take it a step further and save more money within the National set up and look to make a simplified frame.

Latest posts

Back