changing to 14 x 12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obee1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11 ish plus some nucs
I am considering changing from my double brood box system (national) to a single 14 x 12 box by adding an eke to a brood box. I would like to have some foundationless frames but am concerned that the combs will be prone to collapsing due to the extra depth. I don't wish to extract the honey from these frames as they would be for cut comb honey. does anyone have any experience of foundationless 14 x 12 hives?

Obee

Used plenty of dadant deep frames foundationless but they are wired, that's the key, pre wire them. Mind we don't use brood combs for cut comb so I can't comment on that aspect of your plan.

Mind we don't use brood combs for cut comb so I can't comment on that aspect of your plan.

I agree
You can't be sure the frames won't be brooded so useless for cut comb.
cut comb from starter strips in your super.
Starter strips alternated with wired drawn frames seems to work quite well.

We run 14x12 with wired foundation and still find that if the bees have created holes in it the comb does sag and try to fall out of the frame, particularly if the weather is warm. We try to keep the frames vertical but even a fraction out and the comb is heading groundwards. Small cable ties seems to sort it though, through the wires and around the bottom bars.

Tim.

As t'others, brood boxes are for brooding, not cut comb.

I have had trouble with14 x 12 frames in the past but no problems these days if one is careful to get them right in the first place. Only ever had faulty, or part-drawn frames that have wanted to go 'groundwards' - or the very occasional 'oops', being me at fault.

Frames drawn on OSR, as supers, is a good way to start out right.

Unwired 14x12 would be a liability - (never mind the inadvisability of cut brood comb).

Even wired it can be a bit floppy when newly part drawn and warm … so it does no harm to treat it like a TBH comb when its "new".
Once the comb has been used for brood, the pupa silk becomes fibre reinforcement for the comb - making it MUCH stiffer. Mind you, if it has been extensively nibbled through, and then filled with heavy stores, it'd again be prudent to handle it like an unframed comb (maintain it in the vertical plain, whatever its orientation).
The only time you MUST hold the comb at 45º is when looking for disease 'scales' - and you wouldn't be doing that on either a brand new or a stores-filled frame.

I am considering changing from my double brood box system (national) to a single 14 x 12 box by adding an eke to a brood box. I would like to have some foundationless frames but am concerned that the combs will be prone to collapsing due to the extra depth.
They won't collapse if you never inspect, because the frames will never be moved, but if you do plan to inspect you can go foundationless as long as you wire the frames using either wire or fishing line. There's plenty of information on the forum and on various blogs that will explain how to do it.

For that size frame it's probably best to use three lengths of wire horizontally - that's what I use for Jumbo Lang/ Dadant, so it should be fine for the slightly smaller 14x12 frame.

You can't easily wire vertically with split bottom bars although you might be able to work out some zigzag arrangement. If wiring horizontally you can loop one length of wire or fishing line across and down the outside of the side bars then either staple, use drawing pins, or tacks that have been knocked flat to fasten the two ends.

If you use wire you'll have to do something to stop it biting into the frame - either a staple to the inside where it turns, or eyelets in the holes you've drilled. That's one reason why it can be less hassle to use fishing line.

I don't wish to extract the honey from these frames as they would be for cut comb honey. does anyone have any experience of foundationless 14 x 12 hives?
It isn't usual to plan to extract from frames taken from the brood box, although a fair few people do.

It's even less usual to use frames that may have contained brood for cut comb. They won't look pretty once they've contained brood, and cappings are likely to be quite dark and, well, do you really want to expect customers to eat cellulose instead of just pure wax and honey?

If you want to do cut comb you can easily use unwired and foundationless frames, but keep them separated from the area used for raising brood by a queen excluder.

Where on earth did you get the idea of using broodbox comb for cut comb honey? If that's your only reason for wanting to go wireless on 14x12 forget it. A healthy colony on 14x12 will provide plenty of unwired supers full of honey suitable for cut comb. Any honey in the broodbox is for the bees (either that colony or to reinforce others).

With out meaning any disrespect to the op I think that it may simply be a case that she hasn't fully realized the potential of her colony in future years.

Latest posts

Back