Changing from cold to warm way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,

Quick question - if I wanted to change my 14x12 national from cold way to warm way - can I just "do it" - or will my little bees be terribly confused?

Anything I need to consider when doing it?

Thanks!

Just do it - it's the entrance orientation that's important, they'll soon get used to the different orientation of the frames.
Warm way to cold way may have caused a little bit of a hiccup if the weather was cold, but cold to warm I cannot see a problem.

Just do it - it's the entrance orientation that's important, they'll soon get used to the different orientation of the frames.
Warm way to cold way may have caused a little bit of a hiccup if the weather was cold, but cold to warm I cannot see a problem.

:iagree:

Just turn the box

You worry too much. Why bother? Bees will do whatever is necessary to suit themselves.

Yes do it.
I moved a small MB National colony warm way to a p a y n e s nuc box cold way. The entrance while being in the same direction is only a couple of bee spaces and is recessed. They just went on their normal way.

Anything I need to consider when doing it?

It could be heavy. But should be at its lightest about now ...
Maybe think of rounding up some assistance.
And clean off the floor at the same time?

/ And watch out for HMQ ... ;)

Time..

Only thing I would say is try and do it early in the morning on a nice day.
That way the bees have all day to sort them selves out.

Warm way cold way is humbug...

Nowadays with open mesh floors it doesn't make much difference to the bees whether it's warm or cold way - in fact those two terms are now just used to desctibe the orientation of the frames as no part of the is really much warmer or colder than the other maybe we should be describing it as entrance(cold) way and sides (warm way).
I thik it's rather whichever way is best for the beekeeper conducting an inspection dictates frame orientation. So you have a point.
Finman - is it true there are 10,000 words for 'getting drunk' in Finnish?

A swede and a Finn agree to meet and get drunk together, they bring several bottles of very strong Finnish vodka. They sit across from each other in perfect silence just pouring glasses of vodka and drinking.
After three hours the Swede fills both glasses to the brim and says "skol".
The Finn looks at him in disgust and says "did we come here to talk or did we come to drink?":cheers2:

Finman - were you the thief by any chance?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1670507.stm

Thanks for idea!

During last week we have got 10 times more pockect thieves from Romania than we had in Winter. We may read too from newspaper too that our police reviele out 25% out of thefts. If you have a necklace on, they just take it. They enter homes and rob old persons.
Which is humbug in this case? Boath? So it seems.

Happy Summer...

Last edited:
Thanks lots all!

I turned them around on Sunday, and was very concerned, as for the next 10 minutes or so, didn't see a single bee come or go... they were obviously too busy clearing up the mess I'd made inside.

After 10 mins a couple started to come and go, but by this point, it was about 4pm, and the hive had moved into the shade - so I let them off, assuming they were all staying indoors to keep warm.

Sure enough -the following day, they were back to normal - looking absolutely fine.

Thanks everyone! not worthy

Latest posts

Back