Chalk brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
over the last couple of weeks one of my hives has had a lot of white lumps appearing under the OMF. At first I thought it was perhaps some of the fondant that they had packed into cells over winter that they no longer needed and were clearing out.

However having examined a few of them they have a rubbery texture and do not dissolve in water. Any ideas? Thee picture isn't very clear but hopefully will give you an impression. Could it be a serious case of chalk brood? I'm in the process of doing a bailey comb change on the BB but is there anything else I should be doing if it's a bad case of chalk brood?

Classic chalk brood.

The only sure fire way of sorting out the problem is to re-queen. But it matters how bad the problem is. From the debris on the hive floor it perhaps falls into the category of a bad chalk brood problem.

Oh - whoops - I thought chalk brood was a fungal problem. Didn't realise it was caused by the Queen.

Thanks for the reply. I do think it's quite bad - it's certainly piling up in a way I've not noticed in the other hives or at all in my previous two seasons.

Classic chalk brood.

The only sure fire way of sorting out the problem is to re-queen. But it matters how bad the problem is. From the debris on the hive floor it perhaps falls into the category of a bad chalk brood problem.

That is right. there is no other trick to get rid off it. And the queen must be outside of your yard that you get new blood into your yard genome.

Thanks both. I've just read the relevant bit of Ted Hooper, so I guess I'll be asking around at the local beekeeping society.

I'll also need to refresh myselff on the principles of re-queening since I've only read about it and never done it. Something about cages and candy plugs I seem to recall...

Oh - whoops - I thought chalk brood was a fungal problem. Didn't realise it was caused by the Queen.

Fungus causes the disease, not queen.

There is no chemical aid to that disease, but there are gene based resistancy the disease.

I had that disease 15 years but then I get rid off it with harsh queen selection. Ofcourse I must get new blood to the yard.

I had a colony with some chalk brood last year.
I shook swarmed the lot onto brand new foundation- gave a little syrup then let them crack on alone. She never looked back- Now a good colony with excellent brood- so if not too severe I would suggest giving the colony and her a chance.
But that picture is of a more severe problem than I had. Requeen there, as advised- and some new foundation.

Thanks Heather - I'm doing a Bailey comb exchange at the moment anyway on the hive so hopefully that takes care of the new foundation.

Er - I think I saw you were doing some queen rearing recently. Were you successful enough to have any for sale?

I have noticed a lot of it lately in 2 hives I have , it is only appearing in drone brood & out at the edges, Worker brood on the rest of the frames is fine

Not yet Steve, slow start- and busy getting tuition days sorted (56 booked in) Sorry. Are you desperate. I have some in incubator but am doubtful about them emerging - only another 12 hours and they still tucked up!
Getting into rearing in a couple of weeks when more time.

There is a product made by B**V**TAl for chalk brood that you pour onto the bees,I brought a bottle of this to try as I have (had) a few colonies that were showing signs of chalk brood earlier on in the season
To be honest I don't know weather it made any differance but as they built up it seemed to be less of a problem

There is a product made by

Does this cure the problem? Any references to efficacy or is it simply a claim?

These 'curative' substances are fine if they complete the job but I daresay this will just be another 'use it again and again' potion.

It will not get rid of the susceptibility problem, only exacebating the problem within the apiary,and further afield, as more queens are reared with these susceptible genes - requiring even more liberal doses of the stuff (good business plan for the supplier, eh?).

Do the job and requeen with a less susceptible strain, is my advice.

RAB

Thanks Heather. I think if I've got to do it I'd better get on with it as quickly as possible. If you know anyone in the B&L division who has Queens currently available, perhaps you could PM me with their details? Otherwise I'll ask around.

There is a product made by B**V**TAl for chalk brood that you pour onto the bees,I brought a bottle of this to try as I have (had) a few colonies that were showing signs of chalk brood earlier on in the season
To be honest I don't know weather it made any differance but as they built up it seemed to be less of a problem
Thanks Dave. I think I'd rather do the radical solution, especially since I'm doing the Bailey comb change anyway, and it's the beginning of the season so hopefully there is time for them to build up afresh. And this is more than 'signs' of chalk brood really, it's a pretty serious infestation I reckon.

There is a genetic susceptibility to chalk brood and as correctly stated the cure is to re-queen.

You will see less and lass of it as the spring advances as it is an early spring/late winter issue really.

PH

Well, that was quick. I've re-queened today (hopefully successfully) courtesy of a very nice local beekeeper who even helped me do it. Given my general cackhandedness and almost legendary inability to spot a Queen it was just as well!

I need to open up again tomorrow to see if the fondant plug has been consumed and the Queen released and accepted, so I haven't uncrossed my fingers yet.

Latest posts

Back