Chalk brood genetics question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I decided to start selecting anti chalk queens in my apiary, one hive was really good. It did not had chalk brood signs , but when I reared 30 queens from it, 80% out its daugters got chalkbrood.

Another colony was as good, and only 20% out of its daughters got disease.

I bought a queen from Italy, and none of its daughters got disease. I think that queen was a key factor when I reared chalk immune bees.

My friends, who use to rear their queens, tell the same story. When varroa came to the district, shalk brood rised to enormous quantities. After some years they gradually got ridd of the dis

I found something similar, my Italians seem less susceptible to chalk brood than the locals, I wonder if damp has an impact.

I have changed almost all my hives to solid floors because I think the screened ones have an impact on damp in the hive helping to allow the virus to spread more easily maybe…….we will find out in the spring.

The other thought on the Italians is that maybe the dryer climate they are reared in helps keep it manageable.

I was interested in some of the work looking at the effectiveness of the propolis envelope within the nest to reduce chalkbrood infection. Seems to suggest that given the opportunity to increase the presence of propolis in the hive can reduce presence of CB
Propolis Counteracts Some Threats to Honey Bee Health
Michael Simone-Finstrom, Renata S. Borba, [...], and Marla Spivak.

Marla has also done some YouTube stuff on propolis and CB

I found something similar, my Italians seem less susceptible to chalk brood than the locals, I wonder if damp has an impact.

I have changed almost all my hives to solid floors because I think the screened ones have an impact on damp in the hive helping to allow the virus to spread more easily maybe…….we will find out in the spring.

The other thought on the Italians is that maybe the dryer climate they are reared in helps keep it manageable.
I doubt its as simple as that, I wish it were. Of course chalk brood is fungus so maybe we should ask ourselves what conditions fungi thrive in and go from there ?

My experience in the fugus area comes from being a property developer, people close ventilation and then turn on the tumble dryer or start cooking in a sealed room, fungus soon follows, simple it is not but some contributory factors are ventilation, and damp condition.

The open floor would seem to allow damp into the hive under certain seasonal conditions. Not a big fan of OMF anyway.

Reactions: mbc
My experience in the fugus area comes from being a property developer, people close ventilation and then turn on the tumble dryer or start cooking in a sealed room, fungus soon follows, simple it is not but some contributory factors are ventilation, and damp condition.

The open floor would seem to allow damp into the hive under certain seasonal conditions. Not a big fan of OMF anyway.
Just a side thought - who controls the ventilation in a hive ? who interferes with the ventilation in a hive ?

You seem to be arguing against yourself. Is damp caused by closing ventilation or by opening ventilation (OMF)?

I would argue that OMF reduces damp.

You seem to be arguing against yourself. Is damp caused by closing ventilation or by opening ventilation (OMF)?

I would argue that OMF reduces damp.
The open mesh floors allow damp to rise into the hive ……possibly

You see more chalk brood when the bees are stressed by anything, in particular population balance and ability to control their nest temperature, obviously with a draft along the bottom omf decrease a colony's ability to regulate the nest environment, especially if they're low in numbers.
I'm another fan of solid floors.

I was interested in some of the work looking at the effectiveness of the propolis envelope within the nest to reduce chalkbrood infection. Seems to suggest that given the opportunity to increase the presence of propolis in the hive can reduce presence of CB
Propolis Counteracts Some Threats to Honey Bee Health
Michael Simone-Finstrom, Renata S. Borba, [...], and Marla Spivak.

No. Propolis has nothing to do with chalk brood.

It is said in MAAREC's disease book, that chalk brood has no chemical treatment. It heals by itself in summer, and then it burst again next spring. That is why every advice seems to works.

You see more chalk brood when the bees are stressed by anything, in particular population balance and ability to control their nest temperature, obviously with a draft along the bottom omf decrease a colony's ability to regulate the nest environment, especially if they're low in numbers.
I'm another fan of solid floors.

If you have chalk brood immune bees, the disease stays out from your hives.

If you keep brood frame outside the hive too long, thst one frame may become sick.

It is strange that people fo not believe that chalk brood immune bee lines exist. But you must change your apiary's genepool. You must get new queens outside your own apiary. Mated queens.

Many beekeepers have told in this forum that queen changing has worked to them.

Last edited:
It is strange that people fo not believe that chalk brood immune bee lines exist. But you must chsnge your apiary's genepool. You must get new queens outside your own apiary. Mated queens.

Many beekeepers have told in this forum that queen changing has worked to them.
:iagree:
If you watched Murray's talk he says he avoids Black Bees because they are too prone to chalk brood to be of much use to him. Jolanta breeds bees that are resistant to it based on Carnica type.

Latest posts

Back