Cautionary tale re hotel...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
We are in the midst of an argument.

Customer books us for two nights. Tells us going by ferry to Guernsey then us.

We think this a bit odd but check flights and lo there is one from the Channel isles to East Mids Airport some three miles from us so all is logical.

Arrival time comes and goes. Hmm thinks I could they have meant the Dorset Morton. Phone them to ask, being necky really and no.

Thinks again and googles hotels on Gurnsey and whoops there is a Marton... phone them and yes they did try to book in.

We exercise our non arrival policy which charges the guest for the first night. Now before you yell we turned down several bookings for the same two nights as we were fully booked so we lost out overall.

They are now arguing that is it OUR fault they booked the wrong hotel!

Bizarre...

PH

We are in the midst of an argument

Given the bluntness of your replies at times ph one thing I don’t want to do is get into an argument with you lol.

Tom?

Question for you.

Is it better to get an honest answer or a load of waffle?

PH

how can it be your fault? they booked it and I agree with you . whether it is a verbal or written contract it is legally binding, and you are fully entitled to charge, probably for both nights not just the one , stand your ground I say

I agree with PH. It's down to them to note the address of the place they've booked. You don't book a room then guess which building it is in do you? Tell them to hand over the cash and try looking at the actual address of where they've booked next time. It might help in future.

Tut.

:p

Tom?

Question for you.

Is it better to get an honest answer or a load of waffle?

PH

Yes very true ph and your advice is welcomed by most, given not from books but experience.

I was just making light of a situation far removed from beekeeping lol.

I hope you resolve the situation.

PH - do you not take deposits? if you do then perfectly right to not return it. trying to charge someone retrospectively at a distance is a hiding to nothing for the small businessman.

If some one has booked a space and for whatever reason deins not to use it that is their problem I would say.
Do you belong to a Hoteliers association or similar who can fight your corner?

PH - Citizen's Advice Bureau would be my first port of call.

Well twice I've had to cancel hotels at the last minute - once because my wife was taken ill and second time (recently) when a relative died.
In the first case we had paid a substantial booking fee (which we lost) and in second wife had paid upfront for some reason (special deal I think) and we lost this too. Their T & C's said they could do this.
Annoying thing is that both times we phoned on our planned day of arrival and both hotels said they were fully booked and had no spare rooms. (they had both had the cancellation a couple of days prior)

So, PH, if your terms and conditions are correct and you had an empty room you should take something but if you did in fact let the room let it pass.

If you do not take a credit card no. when booking then I think the small claims court route is best.

Most hotels I use have different policies. Some will take a deposit, while all take credit card numbers.

Most have a cancellation policy made very clear, ie, you can cancel without any loss up to 12/24/48 hourse before the date of the booking.

Generally this has been fine andonce or twice I have had to cancel, but never lost out as its been outside the minimum time allowd.

We exercise our non arrival policy which charges the guest for the first night.

I would be sure of the legality of charging someone for a night's stay at a hotel that they did not actually take. Maybe you should be thinking more in terms of 'booking fee'.

"I would be sure of the legality of charging someone for a night's stay at a hotel that they did not actually take"

standard practice in most hotels big or small AND by our dental colleagues.

I own a hair salon where we take bookings and if a client doesnt keep their appointment we are legally allowed to charge for the service they booked, same principal applies to PH

I would be sure of the legality of charging someone for a night's stay at a hotel that they did not actually take. Maybe you should be thinking more in terms of 'booking fee'.
If you made a loss by people who made a booking not turning up, then you are entitled to recover the loss. However you must take reasonable steps to mitigate the loss.

I agree. That's why we were naffed off when it happened to us yet they said on the day they had no rooms.

Late booking dot com anyone?

Latest posts

Back