Capped honey from ruined SHB hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps beemaster.com , a forum for australian beekeepers maybe a better place for you to get more specific answers to your problems as we dont have and dont want SHB here in Uk.
It looks like a very busy forum, i am sure they will be delighted to have you join and help you tp sort your issues out

Perhaps beemaster.com , a forum for australian beekeepers maybe a better place for you to get more specific answers to your problems as we dont have and dont want SHB here in Uk.
It looks like a very busy forum, i am sure they will be delighted to have you join and help you tp sort your issues out

While I am not fond of his disregard for advice to destroy the honey, it is his honey, his hive, his health, and his prerogative. Rudeness is not going to change his opinion. He'll find out on his own how it'll unfold.

While I am not fond of his disregard for advice to destroy the honey, it is his honey, his hive, his health, and his prerogative. .

You obviously haven't the foggiest idea about the consequences of his reckless actions have you?
It's not about his colony or his health. He is jeopardizing the wellbeing of all colonies in his region, as well as being a threat to the livelihoods of commercial beekeepers by moving that contaminated stuff around - as well as probably breaking the law.
You really do need to learn a lot more before just wading into these conversations with trite and unhelpful comments.

Rudeness is not going to change his opinion.

Advising somebody to go to a forum where there will be people who know about the local regulations isn't being rude, it's being sensible and useful, and could stop him breaking the law.

his honey, his hive, his health, and his prerogative
Breaking rules and laws, and spreading pests that can damage other people's livelihoods, cannot be excused by claiming ignorance or personal 'rights'. I know you have laws in USA because some of my own family try to enforce them!

You'd be happy to eat contaminated honey because the beekeeper didn't worry too much about food hygiene? You'd be happy for your bees, and those in other apiaries, to be decimated by a pest brought in by somebody who didn't care too much about 'rules'? - I don't think so!

One of omnirage's problems is SHB, and they may have moved larvae into a so-far clear area. Australia has rules about this, you'll have to go to the website to read the lot but here's the beginning :-
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/plant-biosecurity/small-hive-beetle-western-australia

Small hive beetle in Western Australia

Small hive beetle can cause severe damage to bee hives, and has been confirmed in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.

To prevent entry and establishment, there are strict requirements for bringing honey, apiary products and beekeeping equipment into Western Australia from interstate and overseas.

It is important that any suspected infestations are reported to the Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia's Pest and Disease Information Service (PaDIS). Early detection and eradication will help protect the Western Australian apiculture industry.​
There are pages of advice and rules on the website including
It is important that any suspect infestations are reported. Early detection and eradication will help protect the Western Australian apiculture industry. Please contact the Pest and Disease Information Service (PaDIS) to report this pest.
1800 084 881
[email protected]

:yeahthat: above

with emphasis on the word eradication

who is digging the hole for the fire ?

Regulation is different in South Australia, it changed in 2015 when SHB started to pop up in the state. I'm not disregarding anything, I chose to use this site to assist in making a more informed decision. I don't like the way people have been communicating to me here. Making soem assumption that there's a link between the honey poo, and SHB is not valid and uncalled for. I'm going to seek answers elsewhere. People's replies have been generally too emotionally heated, which is especially troublesome considering how much conflicting information I'm receiving (not just from here, but a variety of places).

I'm going to join the local beekeepers club. They might be able to give more suitable instruction.

I think I just heard a penny hit the deck...

I doubt it. Omnimirage posts the same questions in every major beekeeping forum in the world. No wonder he gets conflicting information. He has been advised by me and others to find a friend. I'm grateful that he is 1800km from me. I enjoy this robust forum.

I doubt it. Omnimirage posts the same questions in every major beekeeping forum in the world. No wonder he gets conflicting information. He has been advised by me and others to find a friend. I'm grateful that he is 1800km from me. I enjoy this robust forum.

Do you not have official bee inspectors who could offer him advice?

I think I just heard a penny hit the deck...

Obviously waiting until he gets the answer that he wants - maybe if he told us what that is we could help :D

I wish his bees luck. Maybe it's just me, :rolleyes:, but mouse poo in honey, moving SHB infested material or simply handling food stuff in a shed where the mice live - even if the mice don't sh*t in the food - are no brainers..... :hairpull:

even if the mice don't sh*t in the food - are no brainers.....

Perhaps he should be asking himself how he would feel about being given honey like this to eat.
I really think you need some help Omnimirage. Hopefully, you will get it in your local association

Do you not have official bee inspectors who could offer him advice?

They are pretty thin on the ground in OZ. There is however a huge amount of information online from government & non government organisations for Aussie beekeepers. No dedicated beekeeping forum like you have but lots of Facebook sites to help people like omnimorage. Progressive beekeepers will seek the information out. Others will wait until they fail then ask for help. We have fantastic amateur beekeeping associations. I am a member of one of them. I really feel embarrassed about omnimirage. We have some very good amateur beekeepers. Yantabulla.

Regulation is different in South Australia, it changed in 2015 when SHB started to pop up in the state. ...

Making soem assumption that there's a link between the honey poo, and SHB is not valid and uncalled for. I'm going to seek answers elsewhere. People's replies have been generally too emotionally heated, which is especially troublesome considering how much conflicting information I'm receiving (not just from here, but a variety of places).

I'm going to join the local beekeepers club. They might be able to give more suitable instruction.
So you already know the local regulations, yet ask what to do on a UK forum where the only way we can find about them is using google, and we didn't know you were in South Australia.

There is a link between the mouse droppings in the honey and the SHB larvae in a bucket of honey - the beekeeper who asked about them! At least you did ask, and there's a result of some sort now that you've decided to join an association.

I don't like the way people have been communicating to me here.
Maybe not, but what did you expect us to do, pat you on the back and tell you it would all be wonderful, that it didn't matter about either the mouse droppings or the SHB? Think things through, please, you're dealing with a major honey bee pest and also serious lapses of food hygiene.

At least you're now going to join an association and get the local help and support you clearly need.

Good luck.

I'm not waiting for the answer that I want. The mouses came overnight unexpectadly. You're all being very rude.

I'm not waiting for the answer that I want. The mouses came overnight unexpectadly. You're all being very rude.

So no mice in the shed ever before and you have unquestionable proof?

Rude? I think potentially spreading SHB is the one of rudest things you can do.

I'm sorry, omnimirage, but preparing honey in place that isn't designed as a food preparation area is just not right - and it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to work that one out. It may be blunt, but it's not rude.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back