can i tell if theres nectar coming in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
is there anyway i can tell by just watching the bees flying into the hive if they are bringing in nectar,is it as simple as most bees that are coming in from big distanes and not doing orientation flights and that have no pollen are bringing in nectar??

is there anyway i can tell by just watching the bees flying into the hive if they are bringing in nectar,is it as simple as most bees that are coming in from big distanes and not doing orientation flights and that have no pollen are bringing in nectar??

the best way to tell is by listening to the hive in the evening

The loudest hummmm this evening were hoardes of queen bumbles in the plum trees a couple of hours after the sweet lil honey bees had gone to bed! Industrious???:rofl:

This is easier to spot I found if you have a landing board but if you watch very carefully you may see the odd bee almost crash land near the entrance with a bit of a ungraceful thud compared against the other foragers as if her forward momentum is to great and she cant slow down quickly enough.
bee-smillie

means she is not ready for her pilots licence yet! :biggrinjester:

Classic error - failed pre-landing checks " undercarriage wheel brakes OFF" She obviously landed with the brakes on and did a quick base over apex:biggrinjester:

The "evening hum" is a sure sign that they are evaporating nectar. It does really sound like an air con unit at full chat. The hives also smell of honey, you can pick it up 40 yards away downwind.

Latest posts

Back