Can anyone help with a site for my bees in Leicestershire?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt77

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning everyone, to cut a long story short I used to keep bees up until I was about 18 or 19 & now in I'm going to start again. YAY!

I've got a nuc on order but for various reasons I now have nowhere to site the new hive. BOOO!
My garden is just a little to suburban I think. Not a problem for the bees but it might be for the neighbours!

So the question is can anyone point me in the direction of a freindly farmer or better still does anyone have a 'spare' corner I could use in the rough area of the postcode LE12 or Loughborough I'd be more than happy to travel though. Obviously I would expect to come to an arrangement financially for the use of said corner.

Cheers,

Matt.

a simple way to avoid problems with neighbours is to choose an area in the garden that is surrounded by structures 6ft high, for example my own garden has a shed near a corner with 6ft fence panels, the only open side of the 4 surrounding the hives faces towards the building.

You could use fence panels, a trellis, hedging, anything like that will make the bees climb up 8 to 12 feet before setting off towards their forage. With that sort of arrangement, the neighbours won't even notice that you have bees.

PS. The traditional "rent" for hosting hives is a jar of honey per hive per year

Last edited:
Hi wessexmario, I had considered siting the bees in the garden & to be honest I'd love to have them where I could just nip out to them or sit & watch them. My problem is I'm pretty much overlooked from all sides which makes concealing them or me dressed in bee suit etc a bit more difficult.

Last edited:
have you actually discussed it with the neighbours ?

if you're already willing to go 'off site' then you have nothing to loose by doing so, you could offer to initially site them and say you'd be prepared to move them if they are a nuisance, say you have previous experience, suggest there might be a jar of honey coming their way,
(just don't mention the end of winter poo dive bombing runs :) )

No I've not discussed it with them, I'd kind of convinecd myself it was a non starter. But as you say I've got nothing to loose. The Mrs on the other hand might be more difficult convince:laughing-smiley-014

Latest posts

Back