Can anybody identify this grub please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently 5 hives & 3 nucs
Hi,

Happy New Year to you all!

I went out to wish the bees a HNY just now, and found this grub/larvae half in, and half out of the mouseguard on my weaker hive. I'm guessing that whatever it is didn't like being trickled with Oxalic Acid yesterday. The grub is approx 1 1/2 inches in length.

The hive has only 3 seems of bees. (It started the winter weak), and doesn't normally have the omf in. I put the floor in yesterday after trickling ready for a mite count next week. Having searched the threads for wax moth, I don't think it is wax moth.

Anybody any ideas ?

Hopefully the photo I've uploaded will appear in the thread when I submit it ?!!

Could it just be any old caterpilla that had wandered in?

"Looks like an Giant Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar."

B*ll*cks!!!

GEHM caterpillars have eyes down the side and a bulbous head with eyes.

an idea of scale would be helpful.

It could be a cabbage moth caterpillar

"Looks like an Giant Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar."

B*ll*cks!!!

GEHM caterpillars have eyes down the side and a bulbous head with eyes.

A little terse my friend?
Maybe its a blind GEHM!!!!!!!!!

The Original Bl**dy Post said:
...... The grub is approx 1 1/2 inches in length.

Dr Grumpy Pants said:
.....B*ll*cks!!!.....

Errrr well an inch and a half is about.......

....well an inch and a half.

HTH

:cheers2:

There aren't many brown caterpillars that size. I think it could be a Cutworm

Thanks for the suggestions.......my mentor says he hasn't seen anything like it in a hive before. I thought I'd better ask in case it was something nasty that I don't know about.....there's plenty I don't know....although I do know it's not a twiglet!!lol!!

JCD, the larva of this butterfly feeds on grass. If you have grass near the hive, it may have been smart and looked to hide away from birds. Smart is of course relative, as it has now been pickled.

JCD said:
Thanks for the suggestions.......my mentor says he hasn't seen anything like it in a hive before. I thought I'd better ask in case it was something nasty that I don't know about.....there's plenty I don't know....although I do know it's not a twiglet!!lol!!
Did you taste it?:cool:

its not anything to be concerned about, it is a moth caterpillar we have lots in our garden the same as your picture, some are green some are brown and arch there backs as they crawl along, are you near a tree that where they hang out and possibly looking for somewhere to turn into a crysalis

looked in my books and the closest i can find is a moth Caterpillar called a yellow under wing moth, but there is a colour difference which might be oxalic acid burns on skin turning it brownish, or age related discoloration due to death

Latest posts

Back