Can an Artificial Swarm become a Shook Swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello...

I'd started another thread yesterday seeking advice about whether it was better to do an artificial swarm or use a brood trap, to try to get a problem with a heavy varroa infestation under control.

In the meantime, when inspecting this morning, I found several queen cells, including 2 that were capped, so have today done an artificial swarm.

The old hive (on the new site) was a double brood box which I've reduced down to a single box while doing the artificial swarm. I've taken away some frames of honey to give back in the autumn, and culled 2 1/2 frames of brood, hoping this will get rid of some of the varroa.

In the new hive (on the original site) the only frames from the old colony are one frame of honey, a couple of frames of drawn foundation (including one which is a super as I was planning drone culling) with no eggs or larva, and one frame of capped and uncapped brood.

I'm thinking that if I took this frame out again and culled it, it's effectively a shook swarm. That said, there can't be many mites in there and the super frame with the drone comb on it is ready and waiting for them...

So many options, and questions. All advice gratefully received!
David

Latest posts

Back