Camera advice please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
Hi folks.
Has anybody experience of Fuji Finepix S9600 cameras.
We need a camera that will take a 'good' picture at 6km. but also be useful at macro for bees.
The reason for the need is that a 255ft. wind turbine is proposed for a site 800mts. from our property and we need data for our objection.
The 6km. relates to the fact that it will stick out like a dogs b******s from Dartmoor.

Tim :)

I am at a bit of a loss as to what you need. By a good picture do you mean good quality, or as I at first assumed (before I read as far as the reason for the shot) a good zoom or even a wide angle to get the sweep of countryside.

What we need is a good picture that shows the area from the moor in detail so that we can say this is where it's going to be and this is what it will look like.

Tim

I would personally ask someone local with a decent camera setup if you want a good photo,

Ull probably need tripod, dslr camera and a wide angle lense for landscape photograph for example a canon/sigma 10-20mm lense and maybe some filters.

Most people will have a camera/tripod but not most have a wide angle lense as they can be costly for a good glass.

I suppose you could do it was a standard 18-55mm lense which you get with a dlsr camera when you buy, but the quality will not be the same as with a wide angle.

Ull probably need tripod, dslr camera and a wide angle lense for landscape photograph for example a canon/sigma 10-20mm lense and maybe some filters.

Most people will have a camera/tripod but not most have a wide angle lense as they can be costly for a good glass.

I suppose you could do it was a standard 18-55mm lense which you get with a dlsr camera when you buy, but the quality will not be the same as with a wide angle.

Sorry to contradict you, but (without knowing the actual setting) I am not convinced that a 10-20mm type lens is suitable for something 6km away unless you want it to vanish to a dot, nor even for something 800 metres away. A wide lens will exaggerate the distance and make a distance object look smaller, which is not what Tim is trying to achieve... if anything, quite the opposite.

I also don't think you will need a tripod, assuming light is adequate (decent daylight). And what filters would you need?

I would suggest that your 18-55mm type lens is probably fine for that. The Fuji Finepix S9600 appears to have a 28-300mm equivalent lens (c18-200 in APSC field of view terms) so is probably fine.

As for bee macro, a tripod may be useful for some types of shot, but bees tend to move about a lot, and I have had more success without. I have also found that a true macro is usually not necessary, and a decent, close(ish) focusing, long lens is just as good.

I don't know the Fuji Finepix S9600, so cannot comment, but having done a quick google I suspect it is quite adequate for these needs, with the possible exception of true macro.

I understand what you saying but if the photos are to represent to another party on the objection of its size and location he's going to want a photo of all possible surroundings locally that may be effected by the plans put forward.

You may also want to seek for any unusual wildlife around the area in question see if you can use that aswell against the objection.

I mentioned tripod because if he doesnt have a steady hand he may get a slight blurry picture, but i not a expert at this just trying to contribute.

That was why I wasn't sure what was required. To have a fair representation you require (IMO) a wide angle or even a panorama. To give the impression of intrusiveness you would probably want to use a lens that showed less of the scene and more of the generator.

I would suggest somewhere round 50mm would give the fairest impression. But that is just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back