Calories in Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret Elisabeth

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have looked on several sites to try to find the definitive guide or pronouncement on the number of calories in honey. I hope to replace a glucose drink given before an operation with a honey and lemon drink but need to calculate the number of calories in 100ml.
There are so many different figures given I am finding it realy difficult is there some definitive research on this?

Thanks in advance, for any help you can give

Honey typically has 304 calories per 100g. However because honey varies in water content and because the range of sugars present can vary slightly the actual calorific value of a particular honey may be slightly higher or lower than this.
Energy figures for foods are always expressed in terms of 100g (ie mass) not in terms of volume.

I have looked on several sites-

Tried supermarkets? Nutritional information is printed on most honey marketed in them, I would think.

Honey typically has 304 calories per 100g. However because honey varies in water content and because the range of sugars present can vary slightly the actual calorific value of a particular honey may be slightly higher or lower than this.
Energy figures for foods are always expressed in terms of 100g (ie mass) not in terms of volume.

Yes, unless the food is a liquid. The Stuff I am being offered is a liquid glucose drink so I would to have a measure for measure runny honey.

What do you do eith that "definitive" ingormation.

In our honey jar it is printed 334Kcal/100g

Thanks to all for the information. I have to compare the calories and other things like trace elements/minerals in the honey to make an equivalent drink to what I am being offered by the hospital as a Pre Op. supposed aid to rapid recovery, plus the post op. exersize of course.
I would rather have the honey in a home made drink that I can trust, as I am Coeliac. Contamination in manufactured products seems to be a regular thing, from the regular alerts I am getting from the food safety authority.

If honey is 304 calories per 100g then the calories per 100ml of a made up drink depends on the amount of honey dissolved in it. So if you put 10g of honey in a cup and make it up to 100ml with boiling water it will have 30.4 calories. You'd need to weigh a teaspoon of honey and then work it out from there - how sweet do you like your honey & lemon?

If honey is 304 calories per 100g then the calories per 100ml of a made up drink depends on the amount of honey dissolved in it. So if you put 10g of honey in a cup and make it up to 100ml with boiling water it will have 30.4 calories. You'd need to weigh a teaspoon of honey and then work it out from there - how sweet do you like your honey & lemon?

What about if some one takes two drinks!

What about if some one takes two drinks!

That is exactly what I have to do Six times before my Op.
Actually Vortex I had not thought about that when I first posted but after I read through the drinks label thoroughly I had seen that there was a dilution of the glucose by fluid (H2.O) However that does not alter the amount of calories in the drink (51) so I have to base my calculations on that not the fluid.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
100g Honey=304 Cal.
Drink = 51 cal per 100ml. dose 200 ml =102 cal per dose.
So divide 100 grams Honey by 3 =33.3 recurring / for ease say 34g and add fluid to 200ml. Sorted.

Last edited:
Back