Call from a tree surgeon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44 plus 17 managed for another
I'd be glad to hear any comments on how to respond to a tree surgeon who has just called me for advice on what to do with a hb nest in a tree cavity. The tree has been felled and the log containing the nest is exposed at the bottom. Shining a light in, he thinks that the nest is about 2m high (or long - the log is now lying on the forklift). He says he can leave the log in a yard for the time being.

Did one of these years ago, but in summer. I sealed the entrance at night and the next day the tree was felled either side of the nest.

We didn't get it quite right: the hollow was longer than anticipated, but the bees must have been in shock because none emerged. We meshed the cut ends using clout nails and moved the trunk by trailer a few miles to a secluded spot and set it upright in a shallow hole.

Tried a few polite tricks to get the bees to move up into a hive but of course with brood & Q downstairs they declined the offer.

Nick took a chainsaw and we split it like a book; he found the queen and after that we set up a hive, framed the best combs and took away the log.

Bees were docile; my daughter (about 10 at the time) filmed it close up and no-one was stung. In my experience of dismantling nests bees have always been docile, which is odd because when in a hive they often object more conventionally.

Did one of these years ago, but in summer. I sealed the entrance at night and the next day the tree was felled either side of the nest.

We didn't get it quite right as the hollow was longer than anticipated, but the bees must have been in shock because none emerged. We meshed the cut ends using clout nails and moved the trunk by trailer a few miles to a secluded spot.

Tried a few polite tricks to get the bees to move up into a hive but of course with brood & Q downstairs they declined the offer.

Nick took a chainsaw and we split it like a book; he found the queen and after that we set up a hive, framed the best combs and took away the log.
exact repetition of someone i know in my area who did the same thing...inc transport to secluded area, attempts to coax out and then chainsaw to sort

Had a similar issue a couple of years back, again around this time of year. I was able to leave the section of limb on-site, so I just closed off the open end where the chainsaw had gone right through the very top of the cavity. In the Spring I stood it upright and screwed a "floor" with a hole over the cavity and an entrance onto the top of the branch and put a hive with old brood frames on top. Took them a while, but eventually they got the idea.

James

Thanks for all the comments. As it's an option to leave the log with nest somewhere till spring (upright if possible), I've decided to go back to the guy and suggest doing that as it might be the end of things to ask the colony to establish itself in a new home at this time of year.

Thanks for all the comments. As it's an option to leave the log with nest somewhere till spring (upright if possible), I've decided to go back to the guy and suggest doing that as it might be the end of things to ask the colony to establish itself in a new home at this time of year.
They could be heavily infested with varroa. They might not be worth saving so I would leave them alone.

Last edited:
Many moons ago in Aberdeenshire pre-Varroa I had a colony in a tree. It was not very long - about 3 feet so I nailed a board on the lower end - the cut was not perfect so there was a gap which acted as an entrance. I put it upright and for about three years I screwed an 18" x 18" ply board on top with a hole in it to match the hole on the trunk. Then a standard National roof to keep the rain out. In spring I put a queen excluder on it and a super. I got a couple of supers of honey each year. It was a bit of fun but eventually I did away with the excluder and they went into a brood boxand then popped the excluder back and waited until they abandoned the trunk.

Many moons ago in Aberdeenshire pre-Varroa I had a colony in a tree. It was not very long - about 3 feet so I nailed a board on the lower end - the cut was not perfect so there was a gap which acted as an entrance. I put it upright and for about three years I screwed an 18" x 18" ply board on top with a hole in it to match the hole on the trunk. Then a standard National roof to keep the rain out. In spring I put a queen excluder on it and a super. I got a couple of supers of honey each year. It was a bit of fun but eventually I did away with the excluder and they went into a brood boxand then popped the excluder back and waited until they abandoned the trunk.
Great story!

Had a similar issue a couple of years back, again around this time of year. I was able to leave the section of limb on-site, so I just closed off the open end where the chainsaw had gone right through the very top of the cavity. In the Spring I stood it upright and screwed a "floor" with a hole over the cavity and an entrance onto the top of the branch and put a hive with old brood frames on top. Took them a while, but eventually they got the idea.

James
In Africa they sometimes hang logs hollowed out as hives from trees. No reason not to do same here, they use round comb frames. I am not advocating as a general way but for interest.

Great story!
They could be heavily infested with varroa. They might not be worth saving so I would leave them alone.
They may also have developed a resistance and managed to live with it. Feral or wild co habit with housed sharing pollen nectar and water sources plus they also in small numbers swap homes, and finally your lovely queens may have had donations from them on mating flights.

Latest posts

Back