Buying second hand hive bodys and roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price of secondhand equipment is always a difficult one and some prices on the internet are ridiculous. I’d really suggest an add in your association news letter and any surrounding. Your much more likely to pick up bargains or sensible price, probably from some old beek who’s popped off. The best I had was 12 hives not that long ago for £60 each that when collected got driven straight to a farm and onto the rape😉

A bit of background on the source is a good thing if possible, and fortunately brood type diseases are realistically rare. I’d have no issues buying second hand kit at the right price and doing the normal blow torch/hygienic precautions. Realistically you probably would spend a similar time cleaning an individual box as it would take to assemble say a new seconds. Ian
When an apiary I know was locked down due to EFB, 2 years back the inspectors instructed that all stored hives be soaked in strong soda, then scrubbed then scorched, they inspected after 6 months before lifting lockdown, so suggested if hives are in good nick and they are treated as described, that could be OK, NB took ages to do

Hi folks, what are your thoughts on me buying second hand hive boxes and roofs.
Ive just had a bit of a conversation with someone on fb, more like a bit of a disagreement, about my time and expenses..
I've bought second hand stuff in the past and never had a problem. I have even given wooden hives away this season, as I'm changing over to poly-hives. I will be selling nucs in the future....not sure if it will be this year though!
I totally agree with you about 'follow-ups' in regard to nucs. I would also want to know how things have gone and the welfare of the bees I have sold.

When an apiary I know was locked down due to EFB, 2 years back the inspectors instructed that all stored hives be soaked in strong soda, then scrubbed then scorched, they inspected after 6 months before lifting lockdown, so suggested if hives are in good nick and they are treated as described, that could be OK, NB took ages to do
Cannot beat a soda-bath!

Depends not only on disease history - and is this seller the first owner? - but the way the boxes were put together and the material used.

I've worked with solid cedar boxes made by EH Taylor sixty years ago that have another twenty years of use, and pine boxes made five years ago that are now falling apart in the field because someone screwed but didn't glue flat-packs in an effort to save money.

When boxes are put together in weird ways by those who have no real idea how to hold a hammer, and when beespace isn't right or a box is half BBS and half TBS (sometimes from one side of the box to the other) well, you'll wish you'd spent a bit more or made your own. We have a stack in the yard of used boxes needing work to give common use, but the cost in time and fiddling will make them a pricey bargain.
Mark.....there's your source of hives! LOL :LOL:

Acetic acid will kill spores of chalkbrood/Nosema and wax moth eggs but not effective against EFB/AFB.

Not AFB but it does kill EFB and all the rest you mentioned. Not kind at all to metal but a smear of Vaseline on metal surfaces will protect them
If needed. 2AAAC99E-D733-409E-A13D-35172DA30794.png2AAAC99E-D733-409E-A13D-35172DA30794.png

Attachments

• C9B33484-D6C8-4107-A15C-1A5FC2FDAA92.png
    C9B33484-D6C8-4107-A15C-1A5FC2FDAA92.png
    154 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back