Buying Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC47

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a hive with a drone laying Queen, my original Queen has been superseded. I have been advised to dismantle the hive and let them beg their way into my other hives.
Is it possible to buy a replacement mated Queen now ?

I have a hive with a drone laying Queen, my original Queen has been superseded. I have been advised to dismantle the hive and let them beg their way into my other hives.
Is it possible to buy a replacement mated Queen now ?

It is possible, but, is it worth it! What is the strength of the hive? If there aren't enough nurse bees to look after the brood, then you are on a hiding to nothing. More info needed.

The hive is well stocked with bees but I have noticed that flying bees are beginning to reduce in number. I think the hive is going to fail soon, when the drone brood hatch, so you are confirming what I have already been advised to do.Thank you for your time.

Thank you for your reply, will do ASAP, many thanks for your time,

Just to say that I've got a hive in a similar situation* and my mentor advised me to shake them out and let them find the other hive. So really just wanted to say thanks to those who replied to the OP as it's good to see what others advise. And thanks to the OP for asking the question as well.

* = late supercedure and the queen seems to have died over the winter, so left with a nuc with no brood present and rather sad sounding bees. I pondered sourcing a queen but then figured the bees are by now old and weak so unlikely to be able to support new brood.

Back