buying bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never try and put anyone off beekeeping because of a disability their is always someone available to lend a hand when needed remember us beeks are supposed to be a friendly lot

I would never try and put anyone off beekeeping because of a disability their is always someone available to lend a hand when needed remember us beeks are supposed to be a friendly lot

I agree - we all need support networks around us - and if you do decide to go ahead with beekeeping then make sure that your supporters are willing to get kitted up and work with the bees too. You'll be surprised how strenuous it can be, there's loads of lifting, carrying, heavy weighted stuff. And if things go wrong you'll need someone who will take over, even for a short period. If you can get your support network on board then go ahead - enjoy your bees.

I don't think anyone is trying to put him off - just making sure he takes everything into consideration - things like the aded weight of rose hives etc. may not be evident until it's too late. Having a bad back myself I can empathise.
One of the beginners at our association made the measured and informed decision to go for TBH's knowing her back complaint would be a problem with conventional hives. 'That's OK!' said our secretary 'Emyr there knows all aboput TBH's - he taught them in Africa' guess whose now her mentor :banghead:
I don't know how bad your back is, but it could be an option - and for someone on a tight budget can be done very cheaply. ( :eek: hush my mouth! did I actually recommend TBH's - will be having a hankering for a tofu sandwich next :sos:)

I don't think anyone is trying to put him off - just making sure he takes everything into consideration - things like the aded weight of rose hives etc. may not be evident until it's too late. Having a bad back myself I can empathise.
One of the beginners at our association made the measured and informed decision to go for TBH's knowing her back complaint would be a problem with conventional hives. 'That's OK!' said our secretary 'Emyr there knows all aboput TBH's - he taught them in Africa' guess whose now her mentor :banghead:
I don't know how bad your back is, but it could be an option - and for someone on a tight budget can be done very cheaply. ( :eek: hush my mouth! did I actually recommend TBH's - will be having a hankering for a tofu sandwich next :sos:)

As long as you don't have to move the hive I'd look at a Long deep hive ... TBH's have a fair few disadvantages ... if you can make a Rose hive you can make a simple LDH (with frames - foundationless is cheaper than buying foundation). Look up Dartington Hives on the internet for some ideas. No heavy lifting and what there is should be at a comfortable height ... and they work very well.

I started out down the TBH route and rapidly realised that frames were a real help if you are going to do anything other than watch them coming and going ... it's not impossible just, IMO, a bit easier with frames.

Last edited:
Yes it is easier with frames as you can chuck them about as you like but with proper handling (always keeping the comb vertical) my tbh is a delight to work. I have 1 tbh and 9 nationals. The tbh will be providing the chunks for chunk honey this harvest.

Back