Bumping the queen off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Think in your case if you ever have to do this procedure it might be easier to dump the queen some were away from the hive and let nature take it’s course.

now thats cruel squish her and be done with it

I think that Heather and Poly Hive have the right idea.
I hope that you feel quite so sentimental and careful if you have a really bad day, get mobbed and more than a few stings to test your sense of humour.

It's all in the timing. Try not to be there on a bad day :)

That's as bad as those people that buy a trio of poultry from the market and then dump the cockerel on to the roadside verge on the way home...!

Hi, Think in your case if you ever have to do this procedure it might be easier to dump the queen some were away from the hive and let nature take it’s course.

You surely have problems.

Is it easy to kill the queen if it is inside the queencell?
If it is, so save old queen cells, push the queen inside the cell and squeeze!

Last edited:
You surely have problems.

Is it easy to kill the queen if it is inside the queencell?
If it is, so save old queen cells, push the queen inside the cell and squeeze!

:rofl:

Fair point though.

Not killing the queen isn't pleasant, but however careful I try to be I'm always aware that on the next inspection I come across a bee or two that have that definite squished look about them that can only have been done by me and if I can kill them accidentally I'm damn sure I can do it deliberately "for the greater good".

I'd be more worried that you were looking forward to giving Her Maj a good old stomp.

I've never had to do this (in my 6 weeks of beekeeping!) but it must be wierd to go from being really careful of the queen to chasing her about the hive for treason! I'm sure I'll feel odd about squishing her, but... not so odd I'd lose sleep over it.
The rest of the poor buzzers, of course I try hard not to squash, and am sure no-one likes uncapping drone cells etc: but it's inevitable...

I am a little taken aback at the length of this thread over such a minor matter.

Believe me when you have had a few hundred stings of a tinky hive, had your gloves so covered in stings you cannot see the leather, then crunching an insect which is generating these nasty bees will come as rather a pleasure.

If of course you can find her.........

PH

Every day in the midd summer 1000-2000 bees will be dead in one colony. What makes so difficult to squeeze that one fat buttoc?

I am only glad when I get rid off some bad ass (queen) and get room for younger and better instead.

Latest posts

Back