Bumblebees entering hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

Went today to check my newly hived Nuc, on Apiary site at allotment. Whilst a few feet away from the entrance , I guess about 6 to 8 bee spaces wide of another allotment holders hive I observed 3 Bumblebees flying close to the entrance, 2 separately landed and entered , unchallenged.

One then exited and flew off , the other during the approx 5 minutes I watched did not re emerge. Another bee ( bumble ) arrived and flew close to the entrance and then flew off.they were Bombus Terrestris .

Never heard of this before, anyone else ?

It was fascinating to see they seem to go unchallenged. The colony seemed strong enough with plenty of foragers coming and going

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:
I observed 3 Bumblebees flying close to the entrance,2 separately landed and entered , unchallenged.

Never heard of this before, anyone else ?

It was fascinating to see they seem to go unchallenged.

Hmmm i think the next statement tells you a lot - do you think bombus no 2 was having a nice cup of tea and a chat?

the other during the approx 5 minutes I watched did not re emerge.
I have opened up before now and found the hairless mummified remains of a bumble wedged into the hive entrance! I've also seen the odd wasp happily wandering around inside the hive snacking on the stores but the next day a band of the cheeky beggars being bounced out not long after effecting an entry.

Funny: I just this minute saw a bumblebee go in unchallenged to the (weak nuc) domain of the Little Green Queen. Had not emerged after a minute. C'mon girls - DISEASE: can't have that! So I lifted and bumped the nuc down; she emerged sideways at haste 2s later. V. satisfying (but vv worrying).

Ok maybe it's just me, went up to my new Apiary site, donned battle gear, first sight was Bumblebee entering my new full colony, in he went unchallenged.

Not a Nuc colony, busy hive bees bombing in and out and he seemed to go in unchallenged ??

He?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find dead bumblebees outside my hives in the early morning - killed trying to enter I assume. Certainly attempted entrances during the day have been rebuffed when I have seen it.

The sparrows eat them all..very efficient scavengers..

Saw a huge bumble bee round the hive tonight - soon chased off though

There had been a bumblebee lurking when the swarm arrived at the bait box. Don't know whether it'd already moved in or was just thinking about it.

Latest posts

Back