Bumble Bee In Bedroom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony1321

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

This might seem stupid to you guys but its freaking me out a bit, lol.

Went to bed Monday night, woke up Tuesday morning to find a bumble bee on the carpet near the open fire place I have in my bedroom, it was docile and not flying or buzzing, thought nothing of it, caught it and to took it outside to free it. (it started buzzing and flying as soon as I caught it in the glass.

Now last night, went to bed, woke up to a buzzing around 1am this morning, yet again it was a bumble bee, this time much bigger (about the size of a 2p with legs included) It was actually on my bed covers near my head which startled me. This time the bee was mobile for a few seconds then went docile on the carpet which aloud me to catch it and free it.

Could there be a bumble bee nest in my chimney? I've looked up as far as I can see and cant see anything from the inside or outside, or is it more likely just a couple of dumb bees that have somehow got on my chimney from the outside and made there way down? (my chimney has a cowl fitted).

Thanks for your time.

Yes it's most likely coming down the chimney.

If there is a nest it'll probably be in a old bird's nest in a roof space near a crack in the chimney lining.

Bumble bee's colonies/nests only last 'til the autumn and they're very small.

You could block the chimney above your grate with a bundle of fine wire netting?

(As a last resort, give one a kiss and see if it turns into a Princess!)

Thanks Richard,

I will pop to B&Q tomorrow to get some netting. I've put some kitchen foil in the fire opening for the time being, lol.

If it is a nest though would I not be able to hear them buzzing in the chimney?

It totally s*it me up last night waking up to the buzzing and the bee more or less in my face I ended up sleeping in the spare bedroom so unlikely I will try and kiss it, lol

I thought bees slept at night so was quite surprised when it was in my face! I've also read bumble bees don't nest any higher than 4ft from the ground, or is this just hear say?

Thanks Richard,

I will pop to B&Q tomorrow to get some netting. I've put some kitchen foil in the fire opening for the time being, lol.

If it is a nest though would I not be able to hear them buzzing in the chimney?

It totally s*it me up last night waking up to the buzzing and the bee more or less in my face I ended up sleeping in the spare bedroom so unlikely I will try and kiss it, lol

I thought bees slept at night so was quite surprised when it was in my face! I've also read bumble bees don't nest any higher than 4ft from the ground, or is this just hear say?

there are dozens of different species so it can be true and false ...

Tony

from my observations over the years, BB spend more time crawling around in the dark than they do flying.

When ever I've removed BB nests from lofts (e.g. inside a rotted roll of loft insulation) they were invariably a 'buff-tailed' variety. does this apply to yours? i.e. the rear end is grey coloured.

try a chimney balloon

Hi,

Thanks for all the replys. I put foil over last night there where no signs of any Bumble Bees in the grate this morning.

I cant live with the rattling of the foil with the wind, is there anyway to find out if there is a nest up there and get rid?

I have attached a couple of pics of the bee. I think it is the buff tailed bed?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all the replys. I put foil over last night there where no signs of any Bumble Bees in the grate this morning.

I cant live with the rattling of the foil with the wind, is there anyway to find out if there is a nest up there and get rid?

I have attached a couple of pics of the bee. I think it is the buff tailed bed?

Thanks

Personally I would go with the suggestion of the chimney balloon. particularly if you don't use the fire place. It won't rattle and it will prevent a lot of heat loss from the room. It can be deflated and removed if the need arises.

The nest will die out at the end of summer. If the bees can't get in to bother you no need to get rid.

EDIT: A google (other search engines are available) for chimney balloon will point you to a supplier.

Tony

Yes, that's a 'buff-tailed' .....nice clear pics.

imho chimney balloons are bad news as they block ventilation up the chimney - which you might not notice until it's gone. (echo of Joni Mitchell?)

A few yards of wire mesh crumpled up to fit the chimney will stop the bees and allow ventilation

Of course you can, Cumbrian

- but it really doesn't apply in this situation, does it?

Hi again,

Well since my last post I've not seen very much of any bee in my house (probably to do with the wet and cold weather?)

Anyway got home from work today and could hear a buzzing in my living room coming from behind the electric fire which had been installed in the opening of a old opening fire, I thought nothing of it and them suddenly a huge bumblebee flew out. It went straight to the window so I opened it and it flew out.

Now call me a girl but these feckers freak me out! Nest in chimney? I dunno, what do you guys think? I know if I have got one in the chimney I'm gonna have to have it removed because its doing my head in, lol.

This is the first bumblebee I've seen since my last post, your thoughts would be appreciated. I've put pillows up my chimney opening in my bedroom but if they can find their way through the smallest crack in my lounge fire place I'm sure they will/can get through there again if their nesting?

Thanks for your time in advance :)

Hello again Tony

bumblebees are notoriously clumsy, and you haven't got a nest = this is peak season and you'd know by now.

can't you find a local builder (or under employed window cleaner) to go up and put screening on your chimney pots?

Thanks for your reply Richard.

What makes you so sure there isn't a nest? Would I have seen alot more by now if there was a nest? It's a rented house I live in so I'm not paying for a builder and I'm pretty sure my landlord won't either!

Tony

If you did have a nest there would be dozens of bees daily by now.

and If it's just a rental...stick an old duvet up the chimney!

richard

Back