Bulging frame...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
Basically at some point I've obviously screwed up and as a result one section of a frame on one side has been built out well beyond where it should. It's against (kind off...) a wooden partition currently. My plan was to leave it as it until things get going in the Spring and then take the offending section back to the wire or thereabouts. I'm not sure if there is a wax sheet in the middle or not - probably not though. And presumably what I remove I can then feed back to the bees if there are any stores left in it (it is the outer frame)?

Is there a better approach to take or does that seem a fair plan?

If it isn't empty by spring, take it off and put it over a hole in the crown board. They will take the honey back down into the hive. You can then sort it out, but to be honest, I would leave it. It's obviously not worrying the bees!

Basically at some point I've obviously screwed up and as a result one section of a frame on one side has been built out well beyond where it should. It's against (kind off...) a wooden partition currently. My plan was to leave it as it until things get going in the Spring and then take the offending section back to the wire or thereabouts. I'm not sure if there is a wax sheet in the middle or not - probably not though. And presumably what I remove I can then feed back to the bees if there are any stores left in it (it is the outer frame)?

Is there a better approach to take or does that seem a fair plan?
Because I use castellations which give a slightly bigger space than DN4 frames, the areas of stores above the brood are always thicker and if I have to rearrange combs they often touch.
I just leave it to the bees, they always seem to sort it. 😁

All as above. You say this is an outer frame against a " kind of wooden partition" . This is probably what is called a dummy board that was not pushed up tight against the last frame. This is what happens when you do not get the bee space right. No great catastrophe, but pay attention to spacing next year, even then the bees may create some wavy comb, but less so.

Latest posts

Back