Buckfast Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donnie, we know that your favorites are buckfasts, but what are the main races of bees in Bulgaria?

Donnie, we know that your favorites are buckfasts, but what are the main races of bees in Bulgaria?

The only race that can be maitained in Bulgaria is the "native" bee, which is nothing more than mongrel. Any importations from different races are prohibited (except for scientific purposes) by the law. The breeding ogranisation (which virtually is represented by one person) have the monopoly of the selection. For over a period of 50 years the beeding direction was crossbreeding (between ligustica, carnica, caucasica and the native bee). After the 90's there was no breeeding direction. After the 2001 they started a new breeding program - to recover and preserve the native bee. Ten years ago the true "native-like" bees there still could be found. The strength of the colonies could not be compared to the no one of the italians. They were HUGE, despite of the very moderate egg laying rate of the queen. Now it's the opposite.
Compared to the Italians the "natives" are very nasty during the most of the year - in cold weather and when the rape and the tilia trees are in bloom; during the sunflower everything is just fine.

That wouldn't be a wee advert would it Carsten?

Myself I cannot get my head round how a Buckfast bee from one place can resemble one from an outer place.

Given the Buckfast was a bunch of crosses, how can it be remotely stable now the master crosser is gone ?

PH

That wouldn't be a wee advert would it Carsten?

I dont think it is PH, well not regards the semi link,as that appears to be to the old original Buckfast pedigrees, which are still maintained. And is just answering the question that has been asked,well up until now anyway.

Naa, just answering a question.
A lot of posts doubt, that the original genuine lines exist ! They do
Two places in Europe.
Franz und Claus Fehrenbach, Germany and My self Carsten Dalbøl, Denmark.
Try Scan "Breeding programs of European Buckfast Bee Breeders - Archives". There is alot of new Brother Adams out there......
Just remember: Ask for the pedigree before you buy what you think is a Buckfast Queen
Greetings
Carsten

LOL no intention of buying mongrels thanks. Never have never will.

Just a thought but how is it possible for x's to breed true?

More than happy with my current line.

PH

Wrong Admin.
Anatolica Sinop is the dominant line.
Carnica and Monticola was never incorporated. Read why in BAs books.
Carsten

If people just worked with and improved on, what they already had, rather than importing genes left, right and centre....:rolleyes:

If people just worked with and improved on, what they already had, rather than importing genes left, right and centre....:rolleyes:

More than happy with my current line.

PH

Read the blog:"Me and the Buckfast bee"
Carsten

If people just worked with and improved on, what they already had, rather than importing genes left, right and centre....

Actually it was the buckfast bee that was exported to the rest of Europe. Appears that us Brits did not really appreciate what we had!

This has been answered for you many times Poly Hive. Buckfast bees are a breed, not mongrels, or crosses.

It's not complicated.

This has been answered for you many times Poly Hive. Buckfast bees are a breed, not mongrels, or crosses.

It's not complicated.

Excuse my ignorance of these things but perhaps you can enlighten me over a couple of points.

1. When a bee is described as a breed presumably it always produces 100% identical offspring anywhere in the world. Just as Poodle is a poodle in England or Australia.

2. Other than replacing each queen before it is superceded with a Queen produced by AI how can any "breed" be guaranteed pure?

2. Other than replacing each queen before it is superceded with a Queen produced by AI how can any "breed" be guaranteed pure?

Produced by II,or isolated mating,or from a region/country where that is the only breed.....if allowed to mate willy nilly, then they will not be pure,no more than a poodle, if just allowed to do the same.

Produced by II,

Instrument Insemination? If so that is in my language is artificial hence the use of the term AI

or isolated mating,or from a region/country where that is the only breed.....

must surely be very few of those around - feral bees and bee keepers who don't follow a strict regime and allow willy nilly mating.

if allowed to mate willy nilly, then they will not be pure,no more than a poodle, if just allowed to do the same.

I am well aware of the biology side having worked with animals hence my questions.

Ah so now it is coming out. A Buckie fan cannot admit that BA was wrong?

I am still waiting to find out how a novice monk could possibly kow what was happening in the further reaches of this country. After all his time was in devotions and his reading the bible. Very laudable no doubt but hardly up to date bee news was it?

And yes, quite right it is not complicated. A x cannot breed true. There is always a dominant gene.

PH

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance of these things but perhaps you can enlighten me over a couple of points.

1. When a bee is described as a breed presumably it always produces 100% identical offspring anywhere in the world. Just as Poodle is a poodle in England or Australia.

and a Labrador is a Labrador in England and America?

They don't produce 100% identical offspring anywhere in the world, that's cloning - not breeding.

Hivemaker has addressed 2.

Latest posts

Back