BS National Deep Honey Supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PH is mostly on the button here.

Weight.

Getting them filled and capped.

Cut comb (for most).

A big box is not so good at the start of the season when warmth is needed to draw comb. May be OK for those with lots of drawn comb, but not for the new starter or a cold spring.

Most extractors are a problem.

Most colonies do not need two broods to overwinter, so potential problems there, too, if sugar is fed.

Good job us 14 x 12ers don't go that route!! Personally I find the jumbo a good format - because I use shallows, because a brood box is enough (and spare) for overwintering, because a shallow is usually enough extra space for spring laying.

Recently 14 x 12s have become too heavy for me, so I don't fancy lifting full brood supers back on after each inspection - remember normally, it is the full ones on top!

Half a box full at the end of OSR? That could be trouble!! Neither ripe enough nor can it be left on.

I can see a good argument for double broods but not when they are higher than that, unless your broods are on the floor (mine are just about the right height for inspecting).

If you want to do it, go poly (join PH) - at least the boxes are lighter!

The MBS polys might be much better in that they only hold ten frames - in fact a good idea if the weight is just a tad too much. I remember the obvious difference between a WBC super and a National (it was considerable). Again, as PH says, they have not done it that way (mostly) since the 1920s (and before) when the standards were set. It is not something new as it's been tried before(so the bee-space frame argument does not really hold water.

But, by all means, try it and get back to us with the results. The 'mostly' rest of us might learn something - or there again the 'mostly' group were probably 'mostly' right already!

Regards, RAB

Great input and all valid points.

I guess it's the same for everyone starting out, what is the best kit to start out with.

I already have 22 hive with 2 shallow supers each and another 20 hives with 2 deep supers each.
So I guess it will be a bit of a trial, with a few options available.

If I end up going the deep super way, I will end up with some contact feeder ekes from the shallow supers. Should I go back and keep to the shallow super route, I will have lots of brood boxs for future expansion.

Brian

BKP?

Please accept this in the light it is offered in.

When I made the massive jump from 14 to 57, finding I was under supered was a real shock.

Extracting until 4am to swap out supers is seriously not funny.

I said it before and repeat again, one needs 4 on average per colony.

When there is a serious flow on it gets difficult. I remember a friend telling me that he used cardboard boxes in desperation on a massive clover flow.

The three to one for nectar drying is a wee technical issue that rapidly can lead to swarming fever. Not a good situation and one in which deep uncapping plays a not unimportant part.

Just a friendly heads up.

PH

You will likely 'get by' next year....but that will depend on when, how strong, strain and season, etc.

If early, and a good season, you may well be in trouble. Your second wave of 20 may be late enough so as not to be so very productive.....we don't know.

The next year, or this coming year, some of those 'brood supers' could well be on as double broods....O-oh.

Further, with all hives occupied, you will need more kit for all the other good reasons. I doubt you stay with contact feeders long either. 40 Ashforths, or similar will soon be on the list.

As per PH, I would suggest you budget for the worst (or would it be best?) case scenario.

Regards, RAB

BKP?

Please accept this in the light it is offered in.

When I made the massive jump from 14 to 57, finding I was under supered was a real shock.

Extracting until 4am to swap out supers is seriously not funny.

I said it before and repeat again, one needs 4 on average per colony.

When there is a serious flow on it gets difficult. I remember a friend telling me that he used cardboard boxes in desperation on a massive clover flow.

The three to one for nectar drying is a wee technical issue that rapidly can lead to swarming fever. Not a good situation and one in which deep uncapping plays a not unimportant part.

Just a friendly heads up.

PH

Thankyou PH, I will heed the information you have offered and order more supers to cover all possibilities.

Thanks Brian.

Latest posts

Back