BS box inconsistency

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have a good mix of professionally made and not so professionally made timber supers and broodboxes.

https://www.bees-online.co.uk/instruction-downloads/Nat_Super.pdf

Referring to the diagram,and specifically the balloon with the arrow indicating "Flush".

Many of my boxes have the inner end panel raised from the bottom edge creating a gap above the frame lugs of the box below while others have the panel flush with the lower rail.

The diagram is unclear as it suggests flush fitting at the base but zooming in it looks like a gap is there

To add further discrepancy, two of my hives are Maisemores and have both configurations.

I cant see what the gap achieves but have not had any undue brace or propolis as a result.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

The gap achieves bee space over the frame lugs.

Thanks, I had that in mind but this wouldnt be over the full area of the lugs as they protrude into rebates in the outer rails
Why would there be a need for beespace over the lugs- if you were using castellated runners this would be closed off anyway.🤔

Thanks, I had that in mind but this wouldnt be over the full area of the lugs as they protrude into rebates in the outer rails
Why would there be a need for beespace over the lugs- if you were using castellated runners this would be closed off anyway.��

The BBS of the box above allows bees to access behind the castelations but if there were no Beespace they would propolise onto the top of the lugs.

With a bee space over the lugs there is less chance of propolis glueing everything down which means that you are more likely to be able to lift one super off the other without pulling half the frames up from the lower super when you take the top one off.

Why would there be a need for beespace over the lugs- if you were using castellated runners this would be closed off anyway.🤔

Take a look beneath the bottom bars, there is a bee space rebate. This is your bottom bee space, without it the bees would propolise but more importantly, bee on top of the lugs would be crushed when replacing boxes. The slide in panels should only reach this rebate, in order to maintain bee space.

With reference to the OP’s mention of the flush fitting instruction:

The “flush” indication is attempting to show that the panel should be flush with the indent in the lower sidebar, not that it should be flush with the external base dimension of the box side and sidebar.

Whether it achieves that clearly or not, is of course open for debate.

Latest posts

Back