Brush uncapper and screw combo

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
In the title really.

Does anyone use a brush uncapper combined with a wax screw press? The wax flakes from the uncapper are pretty small so I'm wondering whether they bypass the filters on the press?
Thanks

Yeah I like the brush uncapper - I do need to engineer an extra shield at the back as it does tend to spray a bit!
It's the tubs and tubs of wax/honey mix I need a solution for. Currently it all goes in the melter which is ok but I wondered if a screw press would produce honey clear enough to go in the settling tank and the wax cake could go straight into the steamer.

Just out of interest, do you guys push the comb down (go with the direction of brush rotation) or pull the comb up (against the direction of rotation) when uncapping?

It's whatever works for you!
I start by pushing the comb down but then I quite often pull the comb back up with a side to side movement which sweeps the wax mix away

I found pulling the comb up harder work but the combs came out clean and the cappings goo fell into the bottom tank. Pushing the comb down was easier but the waxy cappings "bits" then ended up in the extractor making their removal difficult. Slight crystallization in combs speeds up the rate at which filters get clogged. I found leaving buckets of porridge were best dealt with sooner than later. Tried various solutions to the problem. Finally came up with a "Reasonable" result.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back