Brood Pattern and Queen Quality

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There'll be two new carnica breeders in the UK this year who I will mentor through their first couple of years testing

Well done! Sincerely, but what has that to do with this thread, where as far as I can make out, you're advising against boosting production colonies because it invalidates assessments ?!

Is it arrogance to seek to pass on what I have learned? I don't think so. You are free to do what you like. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

It's the way you do it!.
Gives the impression you are speaking down to us minions from a high pedestal.

Well done! Sincerely, but what has that to do with this thread, where as far as I can make out, you're advising against boosting production colonies because it invalidates assessments ?!

It was a reply to your question (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=658084&postcount=54) but, I do accept that the thread has strayed.
To be clear, I said if you are only interested in honey (i.e. not assessing the performance of the queen for breeding purposes) then, it's ok to add brood (or do whatever else you might need to do). That makes sense because it serves your goal. However, if your goal is to assess the performance of the queen(s), it is incongruent to add/remove anything that affects that performance.

It was a reply to your question (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=658084&postcount=54) but, I do accept that the thread has strayed.
To be clear, I said if you are only interested in honey (i.e. not assessing the performance of the queen for breeding purposes) then, it's ok to add brood (or do whatever else you might need to do). That makes sense because it serves your goal. However, if your goal is to assess the performance of the queen(s), it is incongruent to add/remove anything that affects that performance.

Particularly the queen!

:calmdown:

However, if your goal is to assess the performance of the queen(s), it is incongruent to add/remove anything that affects that performance.

I try to find good pastures. With same genes you may get 0 kg honey or 150 kg honey from different pastures.

Put two weak hives together and put it onto good pasture.

Last edited:
There will be disagreement, from time to time, but, we are better served by polite exchange of honestly held opinions.

This should be the mantra of ANY forum.

Back