Brood in super after supercedure what now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zubzub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
2 comm bb and nat supers
Hi I have just found eggs and brood in super but cannot find HM.
is it possible for the queen to get through wired QE I have been through supers 3 times and cannot find her.
any suggestions would be much appreciated.

:confused:

Hi Mandy;););)

You don't have egg laying workers do you?

Janet

Ps, just recovering after being told off by Sister Pamela!

Lol shes a scary one eh!
No it is all worker brood not drone so suspect queen is up there but can i find her
:cool:

some times the bees play funny buggers and move eggs up stairs, are they in a brood pattern or laid willy nilly?

I've got a well made brood pattern (all sealed) on 3 super frames. I forgot to put the QE on. No more since I put a wire excluder in.

I'm just leaving them to emerge. Try a different excluder.

Are there eggs/young larvae in the main BB?

Last edited:
good pattern and brood in bb queen excluder is of the wired type havn`t had any probs with these before so dont think it is excluder
have checked it and it is not bent or distorted new this year.
could i poss have 2 queens working 1 up and 1 down superceded about 4 weeks ago.

With supersedure you can sometimes get both queens coexisting for a while and the older disappears at some point.

last month I re hived my queen after she swarmed the day after an A/S - two weeks later I found a lovely pattern of brood in the super (also the queen) I assumed she had fitted through the wire excluder when I rehived them as she would have slimmed down before swarming (there was drawn comb and stores in the super but only foundation in the brood so she would have made a bee line for it!)so I moved the queen back down into the brood box.
A week and a half later she was back in the super so i now think I have a faulty/damaged wire excluder I've moved her back down again and changed the QX so hopefully problem solved.
BTW - can't see any obvious flaws in the QX

Thanx for response I do have another qe so will change it tomorrow/and have another look see for HM,
And I thought this would be a calm stress free relaxing hobby lol.

;)

She's obviously in there somewhere, and doing well.

It seems that you either have an excluder problem, an undersize queen.
(See http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12803)

Do you actually need to find her? If not, you could do a mid-day shake & brush of all super frames back into the brood box.

Latest posts

Back