brood frame swap opportunity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello again, just had an idea and wondered what you more experienced folk think of it. I have two hives which you may/may not remember from a previous post are both Q- but have hatched Q's and should be mating round about now. Both have plenty of bees but no brood left and 2 partly drawn supers each. Would this be a good opportunity to remove the 5 standard brood frames which have been a bit of a pain in my 14x12 box's and replace with 14x12 frames of foundation?
Or will i upset them due to the Q's getting mated and should leave well alone?
I suspect i should leave alone but what do you think please? Nuc.

Would this be a good opportunity to remove the 5 standard brood frames which have been a bit of a pain in my 14x12 box's and replace with 14x12 frames of foundation?

No.

Warm way or cold way?

Move the frames to the back or to the outside, and remove in stages is a far better plan.

Avoid interfering with the hive a while before, or during, times the queens might be on mating flights.

Ok. Many thanks. I have them warm way at the back/opposite side to entrance but they have used the back frames for brood up to recently when it all hatched. This was where my standard frames were. Will they start to brood nearer the entrance now and allow me the chance to remove the standard frames from the back?

Don't know. For insatnce, I have no idea what is in the 14 x 12 frames already there. The brood nest is generally closer to the entrance, than the rear.

You will certainly be able to remove some fairly quickly. Just that done in stages, is simply a far better way to go.

You are not Q-. That states no queen of any sort and is not that a common situation. You have two boxes headed by virgins, something rather different.

When you have virgins its best to leave well alone. Say for another three weeks? Then all most likely will be normal again.

PH

Latest posts

Back