Brood and a Half?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Apologies for what is probably a stupid question, but there appear to be some fantastically experienced people around here...

I'm new to beekeeping, and having done some shadowing, lots of research and avid reading, I finally brought home my first nuc of gentle buckfast bees about a month ago. They've been doing ok with syrup, and progress is good, considering our foul weather.

A week after I hived my nuc, a friend of mine (experienced beekeeper, but hasn't kept bees in some years) also bought a nuc from the same place. His progress, as we'd expect, is much the same. He keeps telling me he's going for brood and a half (we both have nationals) and I should do the same...

I know from limited experience that beekepers can have pretty differing ideas about things, and often, they can all be correct. However, in this case, I can't see the rationale of going to brood and a half in the first season, especially with this very slow start with poor weather. My bees have drawn out all but 2 (end) frames, and have at least 6 frames of good brood. Still, would they benefit from brood and a half, or should I keep it simple?

Again, sorry if silly question, but we all have to learn somewhere I supposen...not worthy

Thanks in anticipation.

i put another super on as half brood extra once they are laying on the outer frames of the brood box,not all my bees need it and some are happy in a national brood,but some need a larger brood area and so i give them the extra space.

Hi brought my first Buckfast Queen last year mid august, managed her on single brood over winter, went to double brood may this year when they was brood over 9 frames, they quickly drew out the other brood box and she started laying in there, at one stage there was brood at all stages on 15 frames. I have had 3 supers of honey off this one hive so far and at present there are 3 more supers 3/4 filled. The point I would make is that Buckfast Bees seem very prolific and like a lot of space, so far no Q cells, you just need to ensure they have enough space to expand as mine seem to go out in all weathers where as my bees from my other hives are slow to stir themselves and need it to be quite warm before they fly. Best of luck hope they continue to build up ok

At this time of the year with a hive like that you have no need to go more than a brood. Especially if you want any honey this year! It has it's uses at the right time but there are loads of pros and cons. I suggest consideration with a hive that is strong in spring rather than mid summer!

With only 6 frames of brood you might want to ponder how to get them up to 9....tip move some frames around...

Super on 8-9 and with the weather supposedly improving there is still a chance of a sup of honey.

Good Luck

PH

i put on a super without a qe when as ph says they are pushing 8 - 9+ frames, gives them room.
insulate roof
if they go incandescant.. not likely with bukdevs..and fill super with stores and brood.. fit qe on top of b1/2 and another super above.. move the honeyed frames without brood up.

you can always take a step back to a single bb later by putting the b1/2 under the main bb
then of course i could be wrong!!!

Latest posts

Back