Brood and a half / double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's the difference between brood and a half and double brood?

I've got nationals

Thanks

What's the difference between brood and a half and double brood?

I've got nationals

Thanks

Brood and a half uses a deep and a shallow.

Double brood uses two deeps.

Ian

Thanks Ian

By shallow do you mean standard

And by deep do you mean 14 x 12

Cheers

No Ceph shallow is a Super

And deep is a Standard Brood Box / Chamber

double brood is what it says on tin - two brood boxes (ie interchangeable frames)

brood and half is one brood box and one super (ie frames not interchangeable).

not sure if terminology still stands for 2 deep (14x12) brood boxes or 1 14x12 and 1 standard brood or 1 14x12 and 1 super. anyone able to enlighten us - are there any specific terms for these configurations (other than "buggers to work").

A 14 x 12 is often referred to as a Jumbo or just 14 x 12

Brilliant I understand, thanks.

So with my strong colony I fed with fondant over winter and they increased at a significant rate meaning they are very strong at the moment with two supers on (last weekend; one approx 60-70% uncapped honey, other 70% drawn comb) that even if I do swarm control with snelgrove I should be planning to go brood and half or double after or before snelgrove?

Will going brood and half or double minimise swarming? I assume so but not stop it?

They have been building brace comb up from varroa floor between frames in a couple of places so assume they are running out of space, but that was 2/3 weeks ago just before I put first super on.

Couldn't do a proper inspection last week so don't know if any queen cells.

On hot nights last year I had a lot sitting just outside entrance but last night they were bursting with a huge bulge full length of entrance and around, although it was quite warm and still air.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back