British bees starving

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
For a few seconds this morning Sky news displayed a newspaper article titled:

"British Bees Starving"

I only managed to read the first couple of lines as it was only on for seconds:

"British bees are starving because so many people have taken up beekeeping..."

Did anyone else see this? and what paper was it in? Yet another bit of scaremongering:mad:

Well a couple of weeks ago bees were starving or at least down my way as my bees had no stores and I was pouring sugar into them to keep them going.

Now they are going mad building up stores and a few filling supers.

I don’t know the article but would be interesting to read it.

No disrespect to Robin Gibb, but all I can find is articles about the Bee GEES :(

Well a couple of weeks ago bees were starving or at least down my way as my bees had no stores and I was pouring sugar into them to keep them going.

Now they are going mad building up stores and a few filling supers.

I don’t know the article but would be interesting to read it.

likewise

Perhaps not deliberate scaremongering if written by someone with little knowledge of beekeeping.

Perhaps, also, a reminder that aspiring beeks should get some sort of mentoring from experienced beeks so they don't make mistakes such as assuming that if the bees aren't foraging they aren't eating.

There are (apparently) parts of the UK which have reached saturation with the number of bee colonies. At which point productivity will drop (in a good year) and starvation will be more prevalent in a bad year.

What can be done about it is another thing...

Perhaps not deliberate scaremongering if written by someone with little knowledge of beekeeping.

Not sure the distinction is considered important in journalism, it's whether a story will grab attention and therefore sell.

There are (apparently) parts of the UK which have reached saturation with the number of bee colonies. At which point productivity will drop (in a good year) and starvation will be more prevalent in a bad year.

What can be done about it is another thing...

Which parts Sue?

Not in my garden!

To answer they question open your colonies and take a look.

My hives currently have 3 supers full of honey and pollen. Perhaps the journalist didn't look in my hives before scaremongering!

British Bees starving

desent hurt to add some extra feed due to the poor weather , it seems every body has been caught out this summer even the most experanced bee keepers have lost hives due to starving bees :nopity:

dont worry next week it will be british beekeepers are all drowning their bees after that prat in milton keans

Latest posts

Back