'Brilliant' idea from the BBC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarisnt

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last edited:
Stuck for an idea for a Christmas present? Why not randomly give someone a WBC hive and then a nuc of bees in the spring!

That was the recommendation on Gardeners' Question Time: Gardeners' Question Time - GQT at Home: Orchid Hunting and Clay Soil Planting - BBC Sounds 40.06m in, i.e. just before the end

I am sure the beekeeping community will welcome this support from the BBC...
Nice idea but how many nucs will survive the first season? Maybe a place on a local beginners course would be a nice supplement to the present?

Nice idea but how many nucs will survive the first season? Maybe a place on a local beginners course would be a nice supplement to the present?
Or a free subscription to this forum 🤷‍♂️

Well, what did we expect from a man who confesses to regularly working his garden neckid, totally starkers
for a start where does he keep his penknife and handy bit of string?!

Well, what did we expect from a man who confesses to regularly working his garden neckid, totally starkers
for a start where does he keep his penknife and handy bit of string?!
String is tied around his waste.
Pocket knife is stuffed in his boots.
Confessions of a gardener?

I wrote in to complain and got the reply below. As always, the BBC can do no wrong and I am simply an idiot for even suggesting so......

Dear John

Thank you for your email to BBC Radio 4’s Gardeners’ Question Time (GQT) concerning panellist Chris Beardshaw’s suggestion of considering investing in a beehive. We take all correspondence seriously on this programme, and we thank you for your passionate response to Chris’ contribution.

The suggestions offered from panellists on the show draw from a very wide and varied base of expertise. The programme is long established with an overwhelmingly adult audience that has come to understand that the expert panellists recommend ideas, techniques, and pursuits for which they have a more detailed knowledge of than many listeners, and that a large amount of what’s discussed on the programme will therefore require a degree of planning, research, and forethought.

In this particular case, I also believe most listeners will understand that Chris was simply sharing his passion for beekeeping (something which I know he researched considerably before embarking on himself), rather than making a genuine suggestion that the questioner purchase a hive as a surprise Christmas present, or that the wider audience take up beekeeping en masse.

Many thanks again for getting in touch,

Very best,

Darby Dorras

Executive Producer – BBC Radio 4’s GQT

Idiots (as I told them in, what for me, was a very polite reply....)

I wrote in to complain and got the reply below. As always, the BBC can do no wrong and I am simply an idiot for even suggesting so......

Dear John

Thank you for your email to BBC Radio 4’s Gardeners’ Question Time (GQT) concerning panellist Chris Beardshaw’s suggestion of considering investing in a beehive. We take all correspondence seriously on this programme, and we thank you for your passionate response to Chris’ contribution.

The suggestions offered from panellists on the show draw from a very wide and varied base of expertise. The programme is long established with an overwhelmingly adult audience that has come to understand that the expert panellists recommend ideas, techniques, and pursuits for which they have a more detailed knowledge of than many listeners, and that a large amount of what’s discussed on the programme will therefore require a degree of planning, research, and forethought.

In this particular case, I also believe most listeners will understand that Chris was simply sharing his passion for beekeeping (something which I know he researched considerably before embarking on himself), rather than making a genuine suggestion that the questioner purchase a hive as a surprise Christmas present, or that the wider audience take up beekeeping en masse.

Many thanks again for getting in touch,

Very best,

Darby Dorras

Executive Producer – BBC Radio 4’s GQT

Idiots (as I told them in, what for me, was a very polite reply....)

Never forget the BBC TV is funded by our population via the licence fee 👿

Latest posts

Back