Bramble Watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The Brambles are flowering in parts of North London, just wondering if others have found the same, seems a very strange year

The Brambles are flowering in parts of North London, just wondering if others have found the same, seems a very strange year

The tayberry (that I thought was a blackberry) has been flowering for over a week and has been covered in honey bees.

Buds showing oop north,i reckon another 10 days until it comes into flower

Will be a few months yet before I see bramble flowering to any extent. Good job too as I am starting to get short of supers, been a real bumper spring.
S

Does Bramble normally come into flower after the Hawthorne? That's what's happening by me at the moment.

Will be a few months yet before I see bramble flowering to any extent. Good job too as I am starting to get short of supers, been a real bumper spring.
S

For some maybe, 9 degrees here yesterday and today, with nothing better forcast for a week.
West has done better total crap here for 2weeks:mad:

For some maybe, 9 degrees here yesterday and today, with nothing better forcast for a week.
West has done better total crap here for 2weeks:mad:

It truly is rubbish weather, i would not be bothered as they have plenty to eat inside but as i have mentioned i hopefully have a virgin Queen running around in my new hive, if i have read correct though i have around 40 days from when she first emerged before it is too late, no bramble in Alnwick either the Hawthorn is just getting going and i love the smell of it.

It truly is rubbish weather, i would not be bothered as they have plenty to eat inside but as i have mentioned i hopefully have a virgin Queen running around in my new hive, if i have read correct though i have around 40 days from when she first emerged before it is too late, no bramble in Alnwick either the Hawthorn is just getting going and i love the smell of it.

Wuld like her to be laying well before 40 days.

I saw some Dewberry in flower tonight, very closely related to blackberry, but usually flowers earlier than blackberry. Also some wild raspberry close to flowering, all a result of the very good spell of weather we are currently having in NW Ireland.

No bramble here anytime soon, not even a hint.

Mertons Thornless

This blackberry has been flowering for the last ten days. he normal wild brambles buds are about to burst and should be open by the weekend.
In the second picture you can see the "Oriel Box" bait hive, Its caught four swarms in the last two weeks. This last holds the record. I re homed the previous occupants on Tuesday came home Wednesday and the was another in there!
Make its the blackberry that's attracting them!!!!!!

Attachments

• Blackberry.jpg
    Blackberry.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 28
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 30
Bramble watch

Some has just started here in North Devon very small patches with most still looking a couple of weeks away but Hawthorne still going strong . I was out looking at my sheep this morning and even the clover is starting to flower so the mythical June gap isn't to happen here this season

Flowering in the Ilford area, so with this rain and warmth, I expect them to be open by the weekend if not already.

Same here, the 40 day comment was what i have read which stated it was too late after that, true i do not know? , i however live in hope that she was mated just after my last inspection :mixed-smiley-005:

Yes, that's about the agreed limit but she'll have a window before then and as you say, may already have taken it. Bees like jiggy-jiggy as much as the rest of the fauna "race". Best leave her to it for a while though.

Same here, the 40 day comment was what i have read which stated it was too late after that, true i do not know? , i however live in hope that she was mated just after my last inspection :mixed-smiley-005:

So more likely "unknown virtue" than Virgin?
Fingers crossed that she's laying.
If still in doubt, drop in a frame with eggs & see how they react.

If they start building emergency cells you'll know they suspect the same as you! :spy:

Still a week or so away here from flowering in Co Down, this has been the best spring weather since i have started beekeeping, this past few weeks have been sunshine none stop more or less with more to follow, the hawthorn is in full flow here with the nectar getting piled in.
United all hives down to make 10 strong ones for the flow and all have 2 and 3 supers on each one with some ready for more.
Long may it continue,
Darren

Latest posts

Back