Bracken Spraying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its a nuc you need not worry if its syrup or nectar as long as they are drawing out the frames its ok although they can tend to fill up the frames reducing the room for the queen to lay.

Also, if there is nectar to be had they will often prefer to go out and get it, and the syrup in the feeder will be left.

If your brood box has only a couple of frames to be drawn out and you are putting a super on, I'd leave the syrup off for now. I was with one apprentice this lunchtime and the unmistakable aroma of (ling) heather honey came wafting up from a couple of her brood frames. What?! Yes, the newly occupied super on top had a rich, dark honey in some frames and I think that the bees, having had a spurt of brood raising recently, moved last year's heather honey out of storage in the brood box to make room. This year's heather is within flying reach for these bees, but it aint flowering yet.

If the brood box remains light at the end of the heather season, consider feeding again after taking the super off to ensure that they have enough for the winter. Thicker syrup is fine at that point or, if you can get some, bakers fondant can be used straight on the top bars. The advantage of the latter is that it can be left on in that state and topped up as required later in the winter. Doesn't have to be dried down, safe to leave, in the right place for them.

all the best

Gavin

Yea, that all makes sense. One concern is, how often is it safe to go through the brood to examine at this stage? Having great weather at the moment and forages roaring in and out like busy bees should and they may be running out of room. Last look a week ago and there were 4 frames left to draw out.

I thought they should not be examined at intervals of less than 10 days?

I'd imagine that someone said intervals of *not more than* 10 days, if the queen was clipped. Even that is a bit long and queen cells can be rustled up and sealed in a smallish number of days.

There is no need to leave them for a set period between inspections, but most beekeepers would aim to do this weekly when swarming is likely. Obviously, looking at them every couple of days will stress them and make them riled, and the disturbance of the inspection will reduce income for a while. But don't worry at all about looking at them now.

If last week there were 4 frames left to draw out and the weather has been good, maybe you just have two left now in which case that super should go on and the syrup off.

all the best

Gavin

Thanks Gavin. That feels right and will inspect tomorrow if weather holds.
Richard

Latest posts

Back