boxes and frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no problem uncapping my Hofmanns using an standard knife.

I am overwhelmed by the fact that there has been such a fast and considered response to my beginners questions. I particulary appreciate the time and trouble it took rab to draft his informed reply.

My questions answered I will heed all the advice given and can now make an informed decision on how to organise the hive.

The weight penalty is something that hadn't occured to me and neither had I thought about using all supers. Also, I still like the idea of using hoffman frames through out but I will think about this.

Thank you all for your help and words of welcome, I have obviously chosen the right place to hang out.

I'm simply giving examples. This being the internet, I have no idea if greywolf is a 6'4" weightlifter, or a 5'0" weakling.

SNAP.

As it happens, I'm 6'3"
SNAP

and can wield a massive chainsaw all day - so I'm not exactly slacking in the shoulder department. I can lift and carry a full super easily, I probably couldn't reliably carry one in each hand.

I now work on the buildings but started life working on a farm, with, during an interim period (which I foolishly helped to finance) three years on a bee enterprise of 350 colonies (a hundred or so of which were nationals, with similar numbers of commercial and MD), got shafted by my business partner because I was too laid back, lost everything (including my house -which I'd paid for by the age of 29) and spent a couple of years living rough -I mention this now as I've been watching another thread on this forum and just prey that the person being written about doesn't overstretch himself and go the same way -it's hard to come back.

rae94579 said:
It is worth noting that a full brood would not be liftable by a baggage handler at an airport. Why? Because it has been shown to knacker your back when done repeatedly.

It's not that it's not liftable, simply that H&S regs don't allow it. I'm sure that they could do the lifts if their jobs depended on it.

Look, I've only put things the way that I see them, from a very early age I was expected to do heavy work, I'm blessed with a strong (but not bulky) physique and as a hobby I've spent years trying to move non compliant bodies in a grappling situation. Greywolf has now stated that he hadn't considered the weight implication of using deep bodies throughout so he's now got something to think about.

Personally, off topic to be honest, if I was to now to adopt a national brood system I'd actually (as a matter of personal choice) use commercial supers -I always liked them, tidy boxes which are much underrated.

Best Wishes to All,
Roland

Off topic but interesting. I'm glad you have successfully fought your way back Rolande.

Some of this thread is puzzling... I struggled to imagine people lifting full supers with one hand and coudln't see it.

Extractors are expensive. If you extract honey at first it is easiest just to borrow an extractor, so you should get frames that fit the extractor..usually ordinary super frames are the safest bet.

Latest posts

Back