box size tolerances from supplier/s!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi Beeks,
Having just recieved some OSB boxes (flat packed) from the only official supplier in the UK, T*****s, I am wondering how far out sizes in different parts of boxes from same and other suppliers is deemed to be normal?

3/4 to 2mm may not be much, but its too much for bee boxes Imho. I'm talking depth of sides here.

Last edited:
ok, so what I mean is, when you've assembled / while assemblng your boughten flat pack boxes, how far out are the sides? talking any type of wooden hive. Cheers:.)

think you need to explain a bit more clearly.
All the hives I have bought are seconds and had no probs with them.

I don't think it is a very popular hive so the differences might be just down to shinkage. The older parts, which have been in storage longest, having shrunk the most. It is not impossible they all might sort themselves out once it is outside and been rained on a few times.

hi Rooftops, not sure they will, 2 sides are ply, 2 profiled timber, its always the ply thats too wide. Dont think ply shrinks, these sides are always more than 190 mm which is what they are supposed to be.

will do, just wondering if it was something that was usual with same/other suppliers at times.)

Sounds really odd to me.... Are you sure the original hive is the right size! Never come across such a large discrepancy
E

Seen the same problems with other Rose OSB flat packs from them, dont use them myself though

no similat tolerance problems in the sides with any other flat pack hive types from them or other main retailers, so think it is the ply/solid combination that is the problem

3 quarters to 2mm is what i meant. Agreed though any discrepancy is too much. Pain in the butt to trim ply down as well, i'll have to waste petrol driving to in laws to use their table saw (with a bit of rough timber on top to save it fraying)I only have hand saws and thought buying easier than making my own as I normally do.

MM, guess that could be the reason, I'll let them know though, they need to adjust something afterall ply doesn't shrink, does it? and the other wont grow.

yes but no, not what i mean. 1 side 3/4 mm out, 1 is 2mm out, the others inbetween. sorry, thought it was clear enough:.)

lol why not say that in the first place if the difference is that small why worry

Why you worried about 3/4 of a mm for or do you mean 3 to 4 mm out?

lol why not say that in the first place if the difference is that small why worry

Well, boxes on top of each other with that amount out makes an even bigger gap. More to propolis, more to reproplise after inspections or else draughty?

Latest posts

Back