Box jointing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Ive put a little video together to illustrate how box joints are done using a dado blade and table saw. I hope its of some interest!
Its best watched in 1080p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-cQeb130P4[/ame]

Love this - recently bought a Triton Router Table & Router for a few projects including making supers etc. and I have a wee Axminster Table saw with a sliding table. Was off work on Monday and used the time to rip timber to size for 9 supers. Have four of them glued and screwed together and will get to the rest this weekend. I made up a very basic jig to do the tenon joints with the router but i think I'll take inspiration from your video!

Ive put a little video together to illustrate how box joints are done using a dado blade and table saw. I hope its of some interest!
Its best watched in 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-cQeb130P4

Nice job .
You could use artificial 3 phase , lots of hobbyists do when using ex industrial gear :)
Just remember to choose the correct pair for the control circuit or the motor won't start :confused:
It's easy to install a 3 phase radial line of sockets, keep integrity of phase rotation and only use machinery one at a time! Simples.

John Wilkinson

Last edited:
Nice job .
You could use artificial 3 phase , lots of hobbyists do when using ex industrial gear :)
Just remember to choose the correct pair for the control circuit or the motor won't start :confused:
It's easy to install a 3 phase radial line of sockets, keep integrity of phase rotation and only use machinery one at a time! Simples.

John Wilkinson

Can you elaborate?
I looked into 3 phase when i started kitting my workshop out, but couldnt make much sense of it.
The amount of gear i have turned down in the past due to it being 3 phase is unreal.
The table saw was going to be skipped, cost me nout! I also picked up a rather large cast iron bandsaw which was so heavy, i had to knock apart in the end with a sledge hammer to get rid as it was useless to me, being 3 phase and all.
A lot of factorys skip this sort of stuff when new regulations or whatever come in.

three phase is easy, just two more wires mummy told me not to lick,

That made me laugh.

I was at a friends workshop a couple of weeks back and he had a large 4 post car lift that was going through a 3 phase converter to a 3 pin plug in the 240v,I was very impressed how things have come on recently.

Can you buy new saws with dado blades now or has the EU made them illegal?

You cannot buy new saws that will take a dado blade in europe now, they deliberatley make the arbors too short.
You can still buy dado blades though, cmt make them, freud make them etc.

Something i should have said in the video though, you put your hand into a moving dado blade, for the rest of your life someone else will wiping your arse!

If anyone is interested in getting an older type of saw bench, look on ebay for wadkins 10" table saw.

I do my comb joints on a home brewed router table, milling and welding involved, with a Ryobi 3 HP unit under it, works for me, :)
Can do pics if anyone is interested ?
S

Always interested in seeing peoples working solutions and homebrewed devices.

I have a multitude of jigs here for various projects. Most homemade, one or two are bought.
The tenoning jig that is used on the table saw is quite impressive!

Made three roofs today and took a few pics of how I do it.
This is not me advising a way to do it, it is how I do it, gaurds removed for photographic purposes.

This is a shot of the rear of the router table, the whole blue bit on the table top slides back and forward. The silver bolt on the left wing takes an adjustable fixture which engages with the slots milled at 1/2 spacing, in the movable part. You can adjust it to get the slots where you want them relative to the timber edge.

5681135276_b116dfbf35_b.jpg

Work in progress hidden by the dust, hence the first picture. Fixture can be seen engauged in rack.

5681138596_aacd74aa42_b.jpg

A front view, with combs nearly finished.
I set up a pair at once. My system badly need a toggle clamp to speed up timber changing. Once pairs have been cut a 1/2 inch spacer is used for other pairs of the roof to offset timber along.

5680577029_894a7aeac4_b.jpg

Works for me ok
S

Latest posts

Back