Board reading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm finding a high number of beautiful fresh wax scales on the bottom boards of all my hives- is this to be taken as a sure sign of brood rearing ? Also is it possible to distinguish between wax debris from brood capping and that from stores being opened?
Thanks in anticipation of an answer or two
Dave

I'm finding a high number of beautiful fresh wax scales on the bottom boards of all my hives- is this to be taken as a sure sign of brood rearing ? Also is it possible to distinguish between wax debris from brood capping and that from stores being opened?
Dave

Photo would help people help you, if you can.

Brood cappings are usually browny colour, stores are generally whitey/cream colour. You will usually see brood cappings in the middle of the frames on the inspection board and stores towards the walls of the hive.
Wax scales probably bees capping brood.

A rule of thumb is that brood cappings are light brown whereas stores cappings are lighter.
If you have wax flakes then the bees are likely capping cells.
Sometimes you get darker grubby debris when the bees are cleaning cells out

Yep ,thats definitely what I'm seeing, in my limited experience of beekeeping I have never seen so many this early in the year.

Are you feeding syrup now? The photo is from during October when I'm feeding for winter. Bottom board entrances are always littered with wax scales caused by feeding syrup.

Dave

Let the bees stay in peace in winter.

Are you feeding syrup now? The photo is from during October when I'm feeding for winter. Bottom board entrances are always littered with wax scales caused by feeding syrup.
Of course! The bees have to do something with all that energy. I see that.
No syrup this time of year though

Can a quick sliding out and inspection of a bottom board on a warm day (14C) really be construed as being detrimental to the bees well being ?

It is winter there however, and bees have winter rest. Quick or slow, bees will notice it. But perhaps not worse that great tits knocking.

Reminds me of being in Finland on business about 10 years ago. Got back to the hotel in the evening, turned on the telly and Benny Hill was on one of the main channels. Smutty bunch.

Latest posts

Back