Bluetooth Temperature Sensors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two friends with sensors in hives.. I've never thought to ask what they both have, the data is via laptop's /desktops.. I'll find out what sencors they are using .
One of them has been recording data for decades.
Ill follow up on some posts shortly.
Evening murrox and giynur

Blue tooth has very limited range . I keep it really simple and use one of these. Lasted 2 years on one set of batteries.
Yes ... I used ones similar to this when I was monitoring temperature and humidity in my long hive .. the don't transmit so it's a manual check - I used to check 2 or three times a day - for about 2 years. It told me that my bees maintained a temperature significantly above the ambient temperature and that the relative humidity was generally aboive 80% - often as high as 85%. The hive was heavily insulated and I was interested in what temperature the bees maintained and whether the insulation assisted them in maintaining a constant temperature .. I also had a view that being able to maintain a high temp and humidity had an effect on the varroa levels.

Thanks. Looking at a device that can store the data. Every time I get within range, it’ll will connect and transmit the data over to the app on my iPhone.
You have probably found what you seek then. Only observation I would make > just as with the remote sensor type I use, it's likely to be embedded in wax/propolis if it's left hanging between frames for any length of time and give you dodgy data.

You have probably found what you seek then. Only observation I would make > just as with the remote sensor type I use, it's likely to be embedded in wax/propolis if it's left hanging between frames for any length of time and give you dodgy data.
I was wondering how you could combat this with the wax and propolis.. I presume one of the first things a colony would do is cover the sensor with propolis?

If I remember rightly I've seen a sensor on the outside of a hive with a thin cable and prob attached which I think was removeble from the outside of the hive any ideas what this would of been..
Im waiting to here from the person that had these sensors.. I find it very interesting and something I'm very keen to learn more about.

I was wondering how you could combat this with the wax and propolis.. I presume one of the first things a colony would do is cover the sensor with propolis?

If I remember rightly I've seen a sensor on the outside of a hive with a thin cable and prob attached which I think was removeble from the outside of the hive any ideas what this would of been..
Im waiting to here from the person that had these sensors.. I find it very interesting and something I'm very keen to learn more about.
I mount the little black box on the outside and either drill a small hole for the probe and wire or simply cut a very shallow grove for the cable to lay in between box edges.

My use of these is really simple - in the wintertime it shows me they are still alive !! :D
Yes ... it does that as well ... although I converted to polycarbonate crown boards fairly quickly and a quick look under the roof confirms the colony is alive.
I like the blue tooth sensors above. The bees will propose it like mad. I used to set my sensors in the feed hole above a bit of varroa mesh in a sealed tube. They may still propolise the mesh but they can't get at the sensor. The temperature at the top of the hive will tell you what you need to know as heat rises... the temperature at the heart of the colony will be a few degrees higher (I did some comparison with a sensor above and one in the middle of the colony and it was generally 2 to 4 degrees difference). As long as you measure in the same place it will give you a decent set of stats... if you also have a sensor outside the hive it gives you an interesting relationship between in colony and ambient...its all a bit esoteric as the variables between different hives, different colonies and a whole raft of locational factors mean that its nigh
on impossible to draw any firm conclusions. The one thing I did find in my long hive was that the more insulation on too of the crownboard the warmer the colony was and sealing the crownboard to the top of the hive with aluminium tape made a difference. I also compared my long hive (double walled with 25mm insulation between two timber layers) was pretty much the same as the Paynes polys I now use in terms of the temp and humidity the colony can maintain. Derek M has done lots of hive comparisons with far more sophisticated kit so he's the one to follow ....

Is anyone using some kind of temp sensors in their hives? Perhaps something like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08238D...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Any insights?

Thanks.
Hi
I use these exact ones.
They do get propolised and become innacurate for recording humidity BUT before that happened to mine, I found the humidity never changed inside the hive anyway so the temp is what is useful.
I put one under the hive, two in the brood and one on the crown board. This gives me data to see what changes the outside makes to the inside.
They record all the time and you can see what is happening right now or what has happened over days.
I changed the batteries as part of my final winter look so they had most chance of lasting till the next opening.
It is really nice to know they are alive without having to open anything.
Well worth the small price IMHO

This is what we use at work for recording temp and humidity:

https://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/rtr-500-datalogger.html
They store data on the device until it gets a chance to transmit via wireless. They will send you a text when low on batteries or if temp/humidity goes out of preset range. You will need a basestation, or hand held portable data downloaded too. They also come with fancy software for making pretty graphs etc.

They are good, but unfortunately very expensive :(.

I would be hesitant to get any bluetooth devise, as I would be concerned it would consume batteries too quickly. But Hugemann says he can get a year between changes on that particular one, and phone can do the downloading, so for £11 I think it could be worth a try.

I would be hesitant to get any bluetooth devise, as I would be concerned it would consume batteries too quickly. But Hugemann says he can get a year between changes on that particular one, and phone can do the downloading, so for £11 I think it could be worth a try.
They are sold stating 100 day battery life. Mine did that in the summer, but I would think they would die a bit quicker int he cold.

Latest posts

Back