black nitrile gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just bought a box of black nitrile gloves as the blue vinyl ones i had were too thin and i kept getting stung. I have just read somewhere that bees dont like black though - oh bum!
Is the thing about bees not likeing black true or a myth? and have i made a mistake?

I’ve read some say it’s a myth, some say it’s true. I can only suggest trying it to find out! Then let us know😀
If true, use thin blue / green latex or nitrile over them for added protection.

Try them and see.
Depends on the bees.
Nasty aggressive bees view them as a threat - but they do that with anything.

Depends on the bees, All my hives are fine except 1 nasty hive that goes apes**t crazy trying to sting anything black. currently requeening them so fingers crossed it stops.

kept getting stung
As your delicacy and confidence of movement improve, stings to your fingers will reduce.

It helps to scan fingers quickly just as you pick up; left-right becomes second nature.

Gloves are not there to prevent stings but to keep your hands free of propolis and prevent transfer of bacteria and spores between colonies (hope you have a bucket of washing soda to clean hive tool and gloves between colonies).

If smoother operation fails to reduce stings, ask an experienced beekeeper to assess colony temper. Do not put up with defensive bees, but re-queen.

We all get stung occasionally but your lack of experience will increase your chances.

I have just bought a box of black nitrile gloves as the blue vinyl ones i had were too thin and i kept getting stung. I have just read somewhere that bees dont like black though - oh bum!
Is the thing about bees not likeing black true or a myth? and have i made a mistake?
It's a mixed bag ..I know people who swear that the bees hate anything black - and other who say it's a myth ...

Have you tried putting a few drops of Olbas Oil on your gloves and rubbing it on. Olbas oil ois a mix of aromatic oils including menthol and the bees tend to move away from your hands. I use it all the time when I'm inspecting - rarely get stung although I won't tolerate bees that won't tolerate inspections.

You only need a few drops so a small bottle lasts ages ... the one I have at present is two seasons old and there's still some in there.

If true, use thin blue / green latex or nitrile over them for added protection.

That's what I do and I have no problems. Only once did they attack when I just wore the black nitrile, but I had just stolen their queen the week before and the stings didn't get through the nitrile in any case.

There are reportedly cases of animals being stung just on black patches, eg Dalmatian dogs!
My black and grey mini schnauzer was stung quite badly last year on her black patches. It resulted in the bees being moved from the garden.

As your delicacy and confidence of movement improve, stings to your fingers will reduce.

It helps to scan fingers quickly just as you pick up; left-right becomes second nature.

Gloves are not there to prevent stings but to keep your hands free of propolis and prevent transfer of bacteria and spores between colonies (hope you have a bucket of washing soda to clean hive tool and gloves between colonies).

If smoother operation fails to reduce stings, ask an experienced beekeeper to assess colony temper. Do not put up with defensive bees, but re-queen.

We all get stung occasionally but your lack of experience will increase your chances.
I agree with the comments which Eric has made.

I remember that when I first started to keep bees I wanted to avoid being stung. To a certain degree I have been successful in this endeavour. I have found on some occasions that the bees have been placid, but on others they were ready for “combat”.

At first I used leather welding-gloves which were virtually impenetrable to bee stings. The problem was that they reduced my sense of touch and delicate movement, and they were not 100% sting proof. On one occasion the bees made those gloves the target of a determined attack, with very many bees stinging my gloves. I formed the impression that they did not like leather, or perhaps they did not like that particular type of leather.

I agree that nitrile gloves can give a much greater sense of sensitivity of touch, and help to keep hands and fingers free of propolis, etc, as well as providing a degree of sting-resistance.

I visited a glove supplier some time ago to check out what options were available, and bought packs of two different types - thick knitted cotton gloves which are maybe 2mm thick, and black nitrile gloves. I have worn two gloves on each hand – first a cotton glove, and then a nitrile glove over the cotton glove. I have formed the impression that the black colour is not a problem, but I certainly believe that the thickness of the cotton gloves gives an additional layer of protection. Any stings which may penetrate a nitrile glove would need to reach through the layer of the cotton glove before they could reach my fingers or hand.

This combination of gloves has still enabled me to have a good sense of touch. I would however have been very happy to have bought nitrile gloves with longer wrist covering, if they would have been available.

Just one thing if that is the case then why do manufactures make Black bee keeping suits?

When the yanks were testing for Africanisation in colonies they dangled a black square at the hive entrance then kicked the colony. There is a classic youtube vid of them performing and then making a very fast painful exit. Note the black.

PH

... . On one occasion the bees made those gloves the target of a determined attack, with very many bees stinging my gloves. I formed the impression that they did not like leather, or perhaps they did not like that particular type of leather. ...

Or perhaps they were picking up on the alarm/defence pheromone from the previous attacks on the gloves?

Just one thing if that is the case then why do manufactures make Black bee keeping suits?
Not seen a black suit anywhere, you got any sales links? The other problem with a black suit, at least in this sunny weather is it would make it very hot inside and a white suit is bad enough on that score.

Latest posts

Back