BeverleyBKA Mail ATTENTION - Foul Brood confirmed in our area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
I just received this Urgent email this morning from our Association in Beverley BKA. (East Riding of Yorkshire), not wanting to panic forum members, but just be aware. (I think this is the first time, in our County - me thinks!).

it reads:-

The Government Bee Inspectorate has confirmed an incidence of American Foul Brood within our area.

At the moment I do not know the precise location of the outbreak. I expect to receive more information within the next couple of days which I’ll immediately pass on to all our members. Meantime, extra vigilance is advised when checking your colonies and appropriate precautions when collecting swarms.

If you have any concerns about the presence of any of the notifiable bee diseases in any of your hives you must immediately contact our local Bee Inspector, or the National Bee Unit at York on 0300 3030094.

Kind Regards,
Allan Carswell,
Secretary, Beverley Beekeepers’ Association.

Just a reminder, as it's swarming season, Beeks collecting swarms in our area, that our forum members which are not members of Beverley Beekeepers’ Association/York & District etc, or registered on Beebase,

Does not appear to be updated on NBU yet, will advise as soon as I have more information.

Hi Andy,
Not good news. I'm not a member of Beverley so if you could update us all that would be great. I've not bothered baiting this year as I have enough.

Hi Andy,
Not good news. I'm not a member of Beverley so if you could update us all that would be great. I've not bothered baiting this year as I have enough.

It's not good news, that's why I posted, to keep fellow Beeks aware.

As soon as I have more information, I will post.

I keep bumping into Beeks in this area, that are not members of any association or registered apiary on Beebase as well! I think that figure is into double figures now!

It's not good news, that's why I posted, to keep fellow Beeks aware.

As soon as I have more information, I will post.

I keep bumping into Beeks in this area, that are not members of any association or registered apiary on Beebase as well! I think that figure is into double figures now!

As an adopted Yorkshireman I'm not surprised. I think the deep-seated mistrust of officialdom dates from Tudor times.
I did my beginners course at beverley and was a member in my first year as a beek. Nothing against them just not enough time spare for meetings etc

Is there a honey packaging company in the area?

I'm not aware there is, but East Riding of Yorkshire, is a large county.

I'm waiting for more information, and hope it's not on my doorstep! (one finger crossed!).

Just updating looking at statistics at Beebase, East Yorkshire has had cases before, very strange I've never heard about them, but possible under the radar, and not members of Beverley BKA, and Inspectors found directly, or too far away to be an issue for me.

Rather concerning really, considering the movement of second hand kit, and people re-using it. Two newbie beeks, recently contacted me, and stated they had lots of second hand kit, and I did suggest they blow torch and scorch it all before use, and destroy all old wax and comb, do not use it.

Last edited:
There is still no update on beebase although to be realistic there may not be weekend staff on duty. Have any East Riding beekeepers heard any more about the location of the outbreak?

Probably not a high risk but landfill or waste transfer sites could have an occasional imported honey jar left exposed to foragers?

Last edited:
There is still no update on beebase although to be realistic there may not be weekend staff on duty. Have any East Riding beekeepers heard any more about the location of the outbreak?

Probably not a high risk but landfill or waste transfer sites could have an occasional imported honey jar left exposed to foragers?

Waiting......for more information and confirmation.

NBU risk map says importer and honey packer in Kingston on Hull and leads and previous AFB outbreak in 2001 near hull, the 2015 map is now showing AFB near ilkley/leeds and again the honey packer is near by

Google shows a company called Sarant as a Hull based honey importers. They probably sell on to packaging companies. No doubt DEFRA will be able to follow the supply chain to determine if there is a link to the current outbreak.
What's worrying is the use by small bakers and confectioners spread widely and who may not have rigorous insect control or disposal of used containers. :hairpull:

Okay, it's been confirmed...

East Yorkshire
TA03
COTTINGHAM
1 Colony
June

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/afbReport.cfm

Thats good to actually know whereabouts the outbreak is. I'm outside immediate risk but it's too close for comfort. I'll be keeping a close watch on my colonies.
I've had a look on bing maps. Cottingham is quite close to Sutton Fields, Hull. Guess where Google finds a honey importers and packaging factory :(
In the meantime I've advised my association secretary about the outbreak in an adjacent association area. Do you know if York are similarly made aware Andy?

Last edited:
Two of my colonies are about 6km from cottingham. I inspected them thoroughly yesterday and found no signs.
Does the 10km2 designation on beebase reflect the possibility of disease occurance or is it merely an arbitrary unit area? 10km2 sounds well within the range of wandering drones or robbers.
6km gives an area well over 100km2 so in theory not within robbing range. My foragers were certainly headed towards cottingham but I think they were far more I interested in the osr in between

Thats good to actually know whereabouts the outbreak is. I'm outside immediate risk but it's too close for comfort. I'll be keeping a close watch on my colonies.
I've had a look on bing maps. Cottingham is quite close to Sutton Fields, Hull. Guess where Google finds a honey importers and packaging factory :(
In the meantime I've advised my association secretary about the outbreak in an adjacent association area. Do you know if York are similarly made aware Andy?

John

I've notified them.

Andy

On the advice of the National Bee Unit, we are now going to close up the Bait Hive on the roof of our offices near the outbreak in Cottingham. At the end of the season, we will destroy all the frames and wax, and scorch the brood box, cover board, floor, and entrance.

On the advice of the National Bee Unit, we are now going to close up the Bait Hive on the roof of our offices near the outbreak in Cottingham. At the end of the season, we will destroy all the frames and wax, and scorch the brood box, cover board, floor, and entrance.

Hmm! Wouldn't it be better for swarms to enter a controlled space rather than opportunist spaces in the fabric of the listed building where they could establish infected colonies possibly unnoticed for extended periods?

Discussed at length and that was their advice. It was discussed that the bait hives were in place, to stop the swarms going into the fabric of the buildings, like the 5 other colonies we have - unmanaged, uncontrolled.....

They are concerned about comb, and robbing activities, and the visiting of other bees which could leave nasties behind, for another method of transmission to other colonies.

It's certainly going to be difficult to convince management to remove, and destroy any colonies currently, or if they die remove comb etc

Hi Andy, not trying to offend you or point fingers but are the feral colonies at your place of work between Sarant and cottingham by any chance?

Terrible news!

Do you have more and better information on the source of the outbreak?

I have concerns about a ( probably illegal) honey importer and repacker in our neck of the woods..CVB has the bit between his teeth and is pleading with CCC to act!

Leglislation and inspections of honey for human consumption and for animal feeds are in place... unfortunately due to the ongoing cutbacks and the last four years of austerity measures ( and another four to come?) it seems the County Councils and Government departments are too poorly funded to take action.

To be perfectly honest I do not give one fig about cutting the countries deficit if it means all our honeybees being destroyed because of AFB.

The Blue Rince that we now have in the South West is beginning to look rather nasty!

All IMOLJO of course!!!

Yeghes da

I asked radio Humberside to mention the outbreak to alert non association member East Riding beekeepers. They have been in touch and I may get chance of a few minutes on Burnsy's program.

Latest posts

Back