Best time to start a new hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I'm new to bee keeping and wanted to if there is a ''best time'' to start a new hive Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter or is there not a ''best time''?
Thanks Nick.

If you start in say late April - early May you should get a very good crop of honey.

Start at the end of June or later, all you can do is build them up for the winter.

The earlier the better from an 01 Apr start point I would suggest. How early will depend on the intended source of your bees and their availability. Options:

1. Gifted / inherited viable colony. Apr
2. Gifted / inherrited split, depends if you get the laying queen or a split with a QC / Virgin - say mid May onward (to ensure drone availability)
3. Bait hive or swarm. Realistically early/mid May onward
4. Parting with hard earned cash, when the vendor lets you have the Nuc, anything from Mid May to Late June

I would not accept a Nuc from a vendor after end June because you cannot gaurantee the weather over just 2 months (July/Aug) to build it sufficiently to get through winter (plan for worst, hope for best). If you weren't paying for them then it's a shot to nothing of course.

Thanks that's very helpful, I will get the hive ready and in position by February 2012. By then hopefully I will have a better idea of what bee's to keep, Any ideas ?

I started thinking about it seriously this time last year and ordered 2 nucs from a well known company beginning in Th... I went on a course over the winter.
Alright I paid a lot more than from some other sources I realise now, but I collected the nucs in mid May and they are now doing fantastically well. Went to check them this afternoon and both have filled one and a half supers.
Super you might say!

A good reply from the one from Dublin (or close to).

You will likely need to order in the not too disrtant future if you want a really early nuc -at least from a good reliable source. Ordered early from the likes of Hivemaker, Poly Hive, Beebreeder and others, you are likely to be well chuffed with the outcome.

Of course, a location might help. That might make a difference as to when best to start, as will the weather (of which we have little or no control), etc.

RAB

Latest posts

Back