Best Nuc feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
I've managed to convert an old brood box into a double nuc

Thinking ahead, I've found two different nuc feeders that would fit on top of the separate crownboards (which I haven't cut access holes in yet)

Round one from T#####s (like a smaller version of a standard rapid feeder) or rectangular clear box feeder from P####s

Does anyone have any experience of using either and any pros/cons please ?

I've managed to convert an old brood box into a double nuc

Thinking ahead, I've found two different nuc feeders that would fit on top of the separate crownboards (which I haven't cut access holes in yet)

Round one from T#####s (like a smaller version of a standard rapid feeder) or rectangular clear box feeder from P####s

Does anyone have any experience of using either and any pros/cons please ?

I've got and have used the small round one from Thornes ... fitted on top of a Nuc nicely .. only thing I noticed was that the 'cone' needed roughing up a bit to help the bees climb up. Bigger Thornes one I have has ribs so no roughing up necessary.

Frame feeders are good in nucs IMO

Maise......... do a big, (Massive) green one.
Fits on a national with two funnels, (one each side). Must be on their website, have a look.

Maise......... do a big, (Massive) green one.
Fits on a national with two funnels, (one each side). Must be on their website, have a look.

I've seen those green jumbo feeders, but I'm hoping to access each half/side independently so would need individual feeders

Anyone used the mini Ashforth feeders ?

The standard (Thornes etc) white plastic 4 pint rapid feeder fits nicely into Paynes nuc eke - ie it overhangs 6 hoffman frames.

My suggestion would be to cunningly position (offset) the feed holes so you could get two of them in. They will fit if you position the holes appropriately. Better than having special feeders, standardise!

I would further suggest that you make the feed holes match the size of the central bee-access hole, and mark where the feeder must sit to line up the holes accurately. In that way, you can deny the bees access to the hollow underside of the cone, thus promoting faster feeding and less wasted effort propolising the hollow cone!

Anyone used the mini Ashforth feeders ?

I have used mini ashforth feeders that I got from National Bee Supplies. I needed to modify the crownboards on my nucs and made sure they were level but they worked very well, although they do not hold a lot of syrup.

Similar to the link to National Bee Supplies

http://www.beekeeping.co.uk/feeds-feeders/economy-mini-ashforth-feeder

and Paynes:

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/feeding/clear-box-feeder-small-1.5-litre/

I have also used the 4 pint rapid feeders on nucs, I needed to make different crownboards to accommodate the feeders when the nucs were together under one roof, the feeder holes were offset and a super was placed around the feeders.

I like the mini ashforth feeders easy to cleen and the divider can be taken out giving the bees access to the feed compartment so you could feed fondant in you wanted to

I've not been able to see from photos, but what sort of access is needed in the crownboard for the mini Ashforths, a normal 40 - 50mm hole or a long beespace slit ?

With my ones it needed a long thin hole, not a round hole. I had the feeders before I modified the crownboards.

Back