Best idea?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I am trying to decide what is the best plan for my bees for winter I have two scenarios and two hives, and both are completely different, both poly.

Hive one... Small hive from a split done in late August - I have made a CB with a hole in to place a rapid feeder, these have been fed on and off for a couple of months, I went down last week and there was activity and I fed them. The hive is pretty heavy (can only just lift with two fingers)

Hive two... The big hive, two BB deep with lots of bees .. this hive I have not fed because they had been producing enough of their own supplies, when I went down last week there was no activity outside of this Hive and it felt very heavy (could struggle to lift with two fingers) this hive does NOT have anything fashioned to feed.

My dilemma is shall I disturb hive 2 and fashion a CB so I am able to feed them fondant or shall I assume that because there was no activity they are now bundled up for the winter and it is best just to leave them alone?

shall I perhaps assume that hive one had activity around it because they are not in As good position as hive 2 and still require the feeding? Or should I perhaps leave this hive alone as well?

I would rather not disturb them and let them be but obviously don't want to be missing something

Thank you

It sounds as if they are heavy enough and in poly they will probably eat less than in wood, mine do. We are forecast 12 degrees next week so if you’re really worried you might have a similar window to replace your crown board

Looks like they have enough feed for the moment. If you intend to dribble OA later in the winter, wait till then and insert the crown board. Assess then whether they need any more stores and add fondant/pollen.

You don't have to feed via the top.

If you think they're getting low on stores there's plenty of entrance feeders you can use later on, or just change the crown board at treatment time.

Leave them be. Both sound heavy enough to have sufficient stores to take them through winter. Keep hefting, every couple of weeks. Mine have been tucked up for about a month now and will not be touched until March/ April apart from OA vape

Leave them be. Both sound heavy enough to have sufficient stores to take them through winter. Keep hefting, every couple of weeks. Mine have been tucked up for about a month now and will not be touched until March/ April apart from OA vape

:iagree:

Spend the time racking off the ciser... and tasting it!!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back