Best filter medium

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI
I am using a slow cooker for melting my wax. I am using double or triple fold Muslin to filter it through. I am quite pleased with the results. I would like, in an ideal world, for it to be a tad cleaner. I am getting through a lot of muslin as I have not tried to clean it. What do others use as a filter medium, and do you use anything that can be reused?
Thanks
Craig

Lint has been regarded as a good filtration element for wax.

Setttling before filtration reduces blocked pores, if one is careful.

Just depends on the quality you require and the effort you wish to expend. Nothing costs nothing and anything costs something. Take your pick.

RAB

I love the fire lighting idea. I have been using old wax laden frames. get the woodburner going a treat. thanks. more ideas please.

ladies stocking or tights, three or four layers stretched over a tin can with both top and bottom removed and held in place with a rubber band does a pretty good job - then lint to finish if it's for showing

ladies stocking or tights, three or four layers stretched over a tin can with both top and bottom removed and held in place with a rubber band does a pretty good job - then lint to finish if it's for showing

Have you gone off topic JBM?.......Oh sorry, I'm with you now LOL
Thought you'd stopped taking the bromide:icon_204-2::sorry:

I've been using nappy liners - php do nice big ones that do the job nicely. I think use them as firefighters.

Doing the filtration hot (as in a very cool oven) reduces the amount of wax left on the filter.
Alternatively/additionally, you can then put old filter media into the next filter … to be further 'melted out', before being eventually consigned to the flames.

I put the wax in a pop sock in the slow cooker for the first go through which does a pretty good job. It then gets further filtered through a nappy liner fasted to the end of a large baked bean can.

I use a fine nylon mesh I bought over a well known auction site - search for 'nylon filter fabric'.
It costs a few pounds but it works fantastic and is well worth it! After use, just pour very hot water over it or wash it in very hot soapy water. I re-use mine time and time again.
Cut it into shape and run a lighter around the edge to stop it from fraying.

Latest posts

Back