"Beginning Beekeeping" Courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Some associations do a beginners' day and then weekly or fortnightly apiary training throughout the season. Some do winter courses, with classes once a week for several weeks, and then apiary training when the season starts.

What does your association offer, and do you think it could be improved? If so, how?

just my 2 pence worth....

Our association, runs

1. Beginners Summer Course (6-8 weeks over the Summer)
2. Weekend Beginners Course (2 days in the Summer)
3. Winter Courses (6-8 weeks over the Winter).

I think the biggest difficulty is judging the people which attend, that are all at different levels, from my experience I had read an awful lot before attending the beginners, so was missing out on the practical side of handling, and I could have done with far more handling experience. e.g. practical.

and the Winter, was just theory, and I think this could be improved with Beginners Practical Winter, Practical Spring, Practical Summer. Our association does have Winter Apiary and Spring Apiary days. Probably the biggest issue is the volunteers required to attend these sessions, when they are not inspecting their own colonies.

Also, Winter Theory Courses, ended up with people, with no bees, because the Beginners Summer, was full so they book them on the Winter Theory, so they do the Winter first before they do the Beginners Summer, if you get me.

Which raises questions from people that do not have bees.... about bees which they should already know.

e.g. Winter Theory, should have a pre-req of, you already have bees, in the Summer.

Are they meant to do both courses, or are both intended for people who are new to beekeeping?

Are they meant to do both courses, or are both intended for people who are new to beekeeping?

Yes, both designed for New Beekeepers.

But really, the Winter theory, is supposed to be, when you've got your Bees, after doing the Beginners Summer Course.

But I suspect it's then "adapted" and starts to cover material for beginners that missed, or could not book on the summer, because it was full.

So, repeated content, if you do Summer and Winter!

again....should be a pre-req for Winter Theory, but I suspect (could be wrong), money comes into it somewhere!

My thoughts are that although well intentioned many fall into the trap of allowing opinions to dominate the teaching.
I'm still trying to get rid of the plastic ends...

Some associations do a beginners' day and then weekly or fortnightly apiary training throughout the season. Some do winter courses, with classes once a week for several weeks, and then apiary training when the season starts.

What does your association offer, and do you think it could be improved? If so, how?

My Association (Barkston Ash) runs theory courses during winter, weekly practical Saturday afternoon sessions during the spring and summer, treatment days for Apiguard in the autumn followed by feeding days and xmas week OA trickle2 treatment. The training is free to paid up members.
New members can purchase colonies of bees on frames from the associations breeding apiary and keep the colony in the training apiary during their first season. The association prefer new beeks to learn on National dn brood with sn supers for honey. Last year one new beek had a wbc but all the others were in wooden national boxes with omf.
The benefit of having a place in the training apiary is there's always someone handy each week to guide the new beek, give advice and discuss any of the nuances of beekeeping or even step in during moments of crisis if needed. Plus the association has a couple of hives which can provide frames of eggs etc should one be required. All in all this gets newcomers off to a good start and sets them on the right road for the future.

money comes into it somewhere!
It does. The cost of the course, the cost of room hire etc, The only thing that is free of charge is a small group of willing volunteer tutors or trainers.

many fall into the trap of allowing opinions to dominate the teaching.
Beekeeping is full of opinions, but if they're taught something not too controversial, and safe, to begin with they soon gain confidence to experiment, and in no time will believe their trainers are stuck in the past ;)
My Association (Barkston Ash) ....
Sounds well organised, and has a large apiary too?

Sounds well organised, and has a large apiary too?

Our teaching Apiary is set in a clearing on the edge of woodland and looks out onto agricultural fields. There is room for up to twelve hives, a shed, parking a short distance away and the beehives are separated from the surrounding woodland paths etc by a high mesh fence. The village is less than a mile away so the bees have access to a variety of different forage.
Winter training and other indoor meetings are held in the village hall.
We like it :)

Latest posts

Back