Beginners course worth the money?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean&Eve

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone!

My partner and I are wanting to get 2 hives this year.

We have read lots of book and watched LOTS of YouTube and now we feel ready to take the plunge :)

We plan to join our local beekeeping association for help and support, we see that they are running a beginners course but we are not sure that we will benefit....we have read up A LOT...we would rather put the £75 into getting our equipment. I know that the course includes £20 subs to WBKA :)

Do you think this is silly of us to think this way?

Does anyone have any recommendations for starter hives from suppliers? There is a huge difference in price out there and some kits state that the wood has 'defects' or of 'second' quality. Any experiences?

Thanks,
Eve

Hello everyone!

My partner and I are wanting to get 2 hives this year.

We have read lots of book and watched LOTS of YouTube and now we feel ready to take the plunge :)

We plan to join our local beekeeping association for help and support, we see that they are running a beginners course but we are not sure that we will benefit....we have read up A LOT...we would rather put the £75 into getting our equipment. I know that the course includes £20 subs to WBKA :)

Eve

Now lets think. You are going to spend at least £400 on equipment and presumably spend money on buying bees but think that learning how to handle bees in real life is not worth £55...

Hmm.. Difficult question :)..

All you need is to repeat one mistake and you have no bees. Or perhaps find you react badly to bee stings .. or or.

£55 for good training is likely to save a lot of grief.

Having done a course with my local division, I found it quite useful even though there were bits i knew already through reading. What I would say is that course is an excellent way to meet other beekeepers, not just those teaching but also potential newbies like you. They can be really useful to chat to and offer a fellow newbie ear etc... It also offers the opportunity to meet experienced beeks who can put a face to your name and may be willing more to help you if they know you... help from them will be priceless in your first year. Help on this forum is excellent but noone here can see your hives so knowing someone who can help you first hand is really important.

A well-run Association beginners' course is money well spent.

Watching random YouTube videos as an intro to beekeeping is likely to give you some very wrong ideas.

Now lets think. You are going to spend at least £400 on equipment and presumably spend money on buying bees but think that learning how to handle bees in real life is not worth £55...

Hmm.. Difficult question :)..

All you need is to repeat one mistake and you have no bees. Or perhaps find you react badly to bee stings .. or or.

£55 for good training is likely to save a lot of grief.

Thank you for your pointed opinion!

Having done a course with my local division, I found it quite useful even though there were bits i knew already through reading. What I would say is that course is an excellent way to meet other beekeepers, not just those teaching but also potential newbies like you. They can be really useful to chat to and offer a fellow newbie ear etc... It also offers the opportunity to meet experienced beeks who can put a face to your name and may be willing more to help you if they know you... help from them will be priceless in your first year. Help on this forum is excellent but noone here can see your hives so knowing someone who can help you first hand is really important.

Yes, I like the idea of the friendship surrounding the bees as well as the help :)

A well-run Association beginners' course is money well spent.

Watching random YouTube videos as an intro to beekeeping is likely to give you some very wrong ideas.

We have an option of 3 beekeeping associations so we are quite lucky I suppose! I shall have to look into the course contents of each closely :)

No, it's a reasonable way to think. Starting beekeeping is expensive, and it's easy to make mistakes. You could find that the money has been well spent, and you'll also instantly meet other new beekeepers and hear their questions.
Does anyone have any recommendations for starter hives from suppliers? There is a huge difference in price out there and some kits state that the wood has 'defects' or of 'second' quality. Any experiences?
Most bee suppliers sell colonies complete with a brood box, so once you've decided which type/style of box/hive you want to use, this is probably the best way to start. You can add more kit during the sales. Seconds frames are worth getting, but sometimes seconds boxes need quite a lot of work doing to make them fit together.

What you really need is the practical hands-on type training. That is definitely worth paying for. As for classroom theory type training - some are really good and good value too, but yes you probably already know some of it. The trouble is most courses contain a mix of practical and theory. On balance probably worth paying but if you have a choice find the course with the most practical bias.

No, it's a reasonable way to think. Starting beekeeping is expensive, and it's easy to make mistakes. You could find that the money has been well spent, and you'll also instantly meet other new beekeepers and hear their questions.

Most bee suppliers sell colonies complete with a brood box, so once you've decided which type/style of box/hive you want to use, this is probably the best way to start. You can add more kit during the sales. Seconds frames are worth getting, but sometimes seconds boxes need quite a lot of work doing to make them fit together.

Thank you :)

What you really need is the practical hands-on type training. That is definitely worth paying for. As for classroom theory type training - some are really good and good value too, but yes you probably already know some of it. The trouble is most courses contain a mix of practical and theory. On balance probably worth paying but if you have a choice find the course with the most practical bias.

As we speak, I have e-mailed the local groups for programmes of their courses :)

Depends on the individual but the course is probably worth the money, it also gives you the fall back of the association to help you if you encounter difficulties, can help you find bees at a reasonable price. And you get insurance.
But as everyone knows, there are associations, and associations......................

I did the course with my association ... I'd done a lot of research prior to that and had some fixed ideas about what sort of beekeeper I was going to be ... the course confirmed that I knew a fair bit about beekeeping, opened my eyes to some aspects of beekeeping that you won't find in the books, changed some of my ideas and enhanced others. Most of all it gave me loads of contact with real beekeepers and some hands on time with bees ... this is stuff that, if you wanted to buy it outside of an association, would be £135 at least per DAY ... you are getting a bargain price for something that will give you far more than just information.

Indeed, save your spending until you are on the course ... you may find that you can pick up some bees or even equipment through the association. I got a swarm for a very nominal contribution to association funds - saved me far in excess of the course fee.

No brainer ... Particularly if you end up rubbing shoulders with some of our completely barmy West Wales based forum members ... worth it for that alone !

It's also good to meet up with fellow beginners who you can compare notes with and learn from their experiences as well.

No brainer ... Particularly if you end up rubbing shoulders with some of our completely barmy West Wales based forum members ... worth it for that alone !
I resemble that remark - so upset I may leave the country in a huff! or even the continent! maybe the hemisphere!!!!!:D

I did the course with my association ... I'd done a lot of research prior to that and had some fixed ideas about what sort of beekeeper I was going to be ... the course confirmed that I knew a fair bit about beekeeping, opened my eyes to some aspects of beekeeping that you won't find in the books, changed some of my ideas and enhanced others. Most of all it gave me loads of contact with real beekeepers and some hands on time with bees ... this is stuff that, if you wanted to buy it outside of an association, would be £135 at least per DAY ... you are getting a bargain price for something that will give you far more than just information.

Indeed, save your spending until you are on the course ... you may find that you can pick up some bees or even equipment through the association. I got a swarm for a very nominal contribution to association funds - saved me far in excess of the course fee.

Thank you :)

If you do a course you have the added interest of seeing who gives up after the initial enthusiasm. I'm the only one from my beginner's course who still keeps bees by many years. Most lasted about two or three seasons.

The attrition rate can be quite high as beekeeping is not for everyone, especially when the novelty wears off and things don't go to plan (no honey etc.etc.)!

Didn't do it due to ill health - learnt by my mistakes with a greatdeal of support from this place...DO IT...It will be money very well spent - and GOOD LUCK!!!

Back