Beeswax polish recipe?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been asked by a well respected and expert wood turner for Rapeseed oil and beeswax turners polish.... especially formulated for Yew
I can not find any reference... but it may also have had Carnuba and Lindseed oil in it from his description
any ideas???

Yeghes da

I have been asked by a well respected and expert wood turner for Rapeseed oil and beeswax turners polish.... especially formulated for Yew
I can not find any reference... but it may also have had Carnuba and Lindseed oil in it from his description
any ideas???

Yeghes da

I think rapeseed oil is going to be a bit sticky .. The best turners wood polish is this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renaissan...814015?hash=item2333bbff7f:g:x6UAAOSwLVZVkoec

It's used in virtually all museums and stately homes for polishing wood and other surfaces ... retains a shine longer than anything else - although it's not very 'natural'. I use it on my turnings but I also make my own polish ..

50/49/1 Beeswax/Liquid Paraffin/Carnauba plus a drop or two of lavender oil. Great on yew ... and virtually every other wood .... but it doesn't keep the shine as long as Renaissance does ...

I seem to have lost my copy of Clara Furness recipe for beeswax polish, has anyone got a copy please?

I know it was wax, carnuba wax and turps but the proportions are lost in the memory bank here.

PH

Thanks everyone - will go ahead and try it....
I just felt nervous about putting something that I use to clean paint brushes onto my antique wood!

its pure gum turpentine not turps from B&Q, two different things and definitely never turps substitute

Turps is a name used loosely that covers different types

Thanks folks.. I have a copy of Clara's book somewhere too!!!

Real turpentine .. not "white Spirit" or the carcinogenic "Turps Substitute" ( contains phenol?)....
£ 15 for 200ml... going to print a fancy label and put my prices up!!

Yeghes da

Ours works just fine.
Just linseed oil and beeswax.
Substituting extra linseed for the turps. :)

In the past I've just applied the raw wax directly and then "polished/burnished" using the shavings generated in the turning process. The heat generated is sufficient to get the wax to penetrate and produce a "nice" finish. If you want a real shine finish with a soft cloth.

Here the recipe I use.
Polish suitable for most wood types.
150g Beeswax
600g Olive oil
30 drops Anti-oxidant such as clear Grapefruit Seed Extract or Vitamin E (optional -stops the olive oil going rancid if kept for a long period)
10 drops Essential oil or Lavender Essential oil (optional)
Add more wax for a thicker polish.

Back