Bees up early today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was out at half light at 6 o'clock this morning and was surprised at the noise from my bees. They were in full work mode.
It made me wonder what they might be working on. Does HB produce a lot first thing maybe?

I was in the garden very early this morning watering the vegetables, and observed bees on the Fushsia flowers.
Not long and my sunflowers will be in blossom 😀

I was in the garden very early this morning watering the vegetables, and observed bees on the Fushsia flowers.
Not long and my sunflowers will be in blossom 😀
Hope the they do bloom well. Where I have a couple of hives the farmer tried 3 times this year to get them to germinate and failed each time. To wet, to cold, to dry in no particular order we have had the lot this year so the couple of acres he puts in every year has been real disappointment .:cry:

Our sunflowers were planted by my 6 year old.
He had a packet of seeds which I told him to plant in the garden.
He disappeared outside to plant them.
He came back indoors 10 minutes later Saying "Done it daddy" !
He had mixed them in with the tomatoes which this year suffered badly with blight.
So no tomatoes but the sunflowers did really well.

Did you observe pollen going into the hive, might give you an indication if it was hb.
Yes some of them had the white HB pollen on them. But not all of them. I'm not sure that it gives much nectar other wise the brood boxes would be packed out by now, what with the hot weather we've been having.
Something must have been getting them out of bed early though!
Perhaps it's just the heat.

But not all of them. I'm not sure that it gives much nectar other wise the brood boxes would be packed out by now,
Same here. Bees have been on the balsam for weeks but it yields little here. Other forum members have been reporting packed supers the other side of Wales . Heaven knows what the difference is...is there a subspecies?

Yes some of them had the white HB pollen on them. But not all of them. I'm not sure that it gives much nectar other wise the brood boxes would be packed out by now, what with the hot weather we've been having.
Something must have been getting them out of bed early though!
Perhaps it's just the heat.
Last chance saloon before the weather changes, have the bees been acting like there on a sort of flow.
One of our apiarys near Heather has been on a flow but only stored food in the brood boxes, maybe using and storing in the brood box, as yet I've never taken a crop of hb honey:unsure:..
I also see lots of bumbles getting to the flowers first in the mornings I've been out at 630 walking past hb and as I said all bumbles working.

Same here. Bees have been on the balsam for weeks but it yields little here. Other forum members have been reporting packed supers the other side of Wales . Heaven knows what the difference is...is there a subspecies?
Same here. Bees on HB, but not much increase in weight. Seems to be just sustaining them. On the other hand, they don’t consume winter stores, judging by weight.

Latest posts

Back